Uniform of Flight Officer Harold Heuser, Pilot in the CBI

NDTMilitaria

NDTMilitaria

Going to go ahead and try out my first post on the forum with my favorite uniform featuring bullion patches, that of Harold Heuser. Here is his story and uniform:

Harold W. Heuser was born on February 21st, 1919, in Germania Pennsylvania. His father Carl and mother were both from deep rooted Pennsylvanian families and his father was a USPS mail carrier. Harold was the first of 3 children, his sisters being born in 1921 and 1929. During the depression years and high school his father was let go and both him and his dad drifted from job to job to help provide for the family, Harold working in this time as a grocery clerk, farm hand, and machine operator. After graduating in 1937 he married high school sweetheart Beth Grant, and in 1938 found work at the new Piper Aircraft Co. factory in Lock Haven Pennsylvania. Working there he eventually became an aircraft inspector for the post-assembly line and also earned his pilots license in 1940. In June of 1941, he and Beth had their only son, Ronald. But when war came, the relationship with his wife split, with Beth demanding he stay at work at Piper Aircraft Co. with his draft deferment, and Harold wanting to join the Army Air Force. in November 1942, the couple divorced, and shortly after in January of 1943 he left Piper for Tulsa Oklahoma where he was enrolled in Spartan College of Aeronautics and Flight. Spartan was pumping out airman for the war effort at full capacity, and he had made plans to join the AAF after graduation. There in Oklahoma he met Tulsa resident Mary Amstrutz, and upon graduation in March of 1944, he married her before joining the AAF. Mary stayed with his parents in PA and he became a flight officer, where he got his papers for the CBI. There he would serve with the China-India wing, Air Transport Command Station #1, 1300th Air Base Unit in Calcutta India. Through the war he served both as a C-47 Pilot in the field and in an official command capacity, and would earn 2 Air Medals. He stayed there until February 15th, 1946, when the 1300th was inactivated. he was released from service on March 5th, 1946 after just short of 2 years service. Harold and Mary were married for 62 years and had 2 sons and a daughter. All 3 of Harold's sons (including Ronald) would serve in combat in the Vietnam War with Ronald earning a Silver Star with the US Navy. Harold worked in aircraft management the rest of his life and passed away in 2006.

(It might be a while till can I finish sending the pictures, It says I've exceeded my 3 post limit for the day :/ any advice to help with that?)

post-257824-0-33920500-1586028762.jpg

Gerradtgrant

Very nice jacket and we'll written first post. Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing the rest of your collection in due time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Very nice jacket and we'll written first post.

+1, and here's his Air Medal card from NARA if you don't have it already.

t1.jpg

NDTMilitaria

Here's some more shots of the uniform and patches, and I do have his NARA award card, but you beat me to posting it :) thanks for that and the kind comments! I also got the shots of the ATC DI as requested

post-257824-0-19404200-1586124898.jpg

NDTMilitaria

ATC DI and Flight officer rank. both are matching pin back sets and both are marked Sterling

post-257824-0-99927100-1586125281_thumb.jpg

NDTMilitaria

Here's the ATC DI back

It says:

Leville & Co.

Washington D.C.

Phil. P.A.

Sterling

anybody have anything to add on that maker?

post-257824-0-69751600-1586125375_thumb.jpg

NDTMilitaria

The uniform itself was custom tailored for him in Tulsa Oklahoma, where I assume the Bullion was also made and added before he was sent overseas

Wow, that's a work of art, for sure!

Were the blue OSB's an air corps thing? I've never seen that before.