US military operations in southern Africa in the early 20th century?

arche-foto

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about US military operations in southern Africa in the early 20th century? Especially reconnaissance, observers, instructors?

thanks for help - so long - kind regards from arche-foto

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about US military operations in southern Africa in the early 20th century? Especially reconnaissance, observers, instructors?

thanks for help - so long - kind regards from arche-foto

What can you tell us? That's a first, U.S. Military involvement in South Africa, that would mean the Boer War, the United States of course was not involved, there was as always observers from our Army, but that would be all wars really after the Napoleonic Wars, and visa versa, IE European Officers observing either the Union or Confederate Armies during the American Civil War, and later still the Spanish American War. And there were sometimes American Mercenaries, but they would not have the sanction of the United States Government or the United States Army.

Hi Patches,

Thank you for your contribution and the interesting page about South Africa.

I am specifically looking for assignments in the former colony of German South West Africa. Is there anything known?

Hi Patches,

Thank you for your contribution and the interesting page about South Africa.

I am specifically looking for assignments in the former colony of German South West Africa. Is there anything known?

U.S. Military assignments in the former colony of German South West Africa. Is there anything known?

That I can honestly say know nothing about, whether when it was German, or after 1919 when it passed to Great Britain.

• 2 years later...

You might try the book “ The Great War in Africa, by Byron Farwell “ , let me know if you can’t find it.

13 hours ago, AirForceBrat said:

You might try the book “ The Great War in Africa, by Byron Farwell “ , let me know if you can’t find it.

Great book, i got it, re read it alot, two other of his books are great too, Mr Kipling's Army, and Eminent Victorian Soldiers: Seekers of Glory

You also might try “ The First World War in Africa “, by Hew Strachan, “ The First World War In Africa “ by John Buchan, “ Dancing in the Glory of Monsters” by Jason Stearns, “ Queen Victoria’s Little Wars” by Byron Farwell.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:18 AM, AirForceBrat said:

You also might try “ The First World War in Africa “, by Hew Strachan, “ The First World War In Africa “ by John Buchan, “ Dancing in the Glory of Monsters” by Jason Stearns, “ Queen Victoria’s Little Wars” by Byron Farwell.

I Say Gordon Old Boy, Jolly Good Show!

post-34986-0-05360900-1495594461.jpg