tracking down details on Lt Col stationed in England WW2

petersargent

petersargent

Hi there i am new to the forum but i am always looking at M1 helmet posts just out of general interest.i live in a very old house that was used by the US army during WW2.

I know that the 9th air force were stationed at the local airfield very close to the house. Today we discovered a soldiers name carved into the lead of one of our windows W D Brown Lt Col US Army. i am fascinated by this and would like to try and find out more about this soldier. I believe the 9th airforce went from the Kingston Bagpuize airfield to D-Day but would love to find out more

what is my best way to pursue this.

post-214687-0-25287800-1585941323_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

I found this mention on Fold 3 but Im not a subcriber and cannot access it.

... records cover operations of the European Theater during World War II, as co. ... J.E. HULL DATED APRIL 7TH FROM LT. COL. W. D. BROWN, SUBJ: "U.S. ...

Also, although I'm not 100% certain, I relatively certain the person below is the one whose name is carved on the window.

Sources:

http://accident-report.com/officers/officers.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1981/04/11/wyburn-brown-brigadier-general-in-the-artillery/ef31c72e-6a38-4505-ba92-44c20ea35109/

BROWN, WYBURN DWIGHT O-12260 Field Artillery

Wyburn Brown, Brigadier General In the Artillery

Retired Brig. Gen. Wyburn D. Brown, 81, a World War II field artillery brigade commander who contributed to the development of artillery tactics and techniques used in the war, died of pneumonia April 3 at Veterans Administration Hospital in Battle Creek, Mich.

From 1939 to 1941, while assigned to the Artillery Center at Fort Sill, Okla., Gen. Brown became the principal author of the Army's Field Artillery Firing Manual that established the field artillery gunnery techniques used by U.S. forces in World War II.

Early in the war, he served as commanding general of the 11th Airborne Division and in the operations division of the War Department General Staff. In 1944 he commanded the 33rd Field Artillery Brigade in France. He later served as artillery officer for the European Theater of Operations.

After the war, he became chief of the U.S. Military Mission to Columbia. He was chief of the research division of the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan., when he retired in 1951.

Gen. Brown then moved to Washington and worked as a senior engineer for the Corvey Engineering Co. He and his wife of 60 years, the former Margaret Fawcett, moved to Carlisle in 1971 and later moved to Michigan.

A native of Marion, S.C., Gen. Brown attended The Citadel Military College. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1919. He served in the Philippines and as a mathematics instructor at West Point before 1939.

Besides his wife and a daughter, Margaret Brown Guest, both of Petoskey, Mich., survivors include four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

petersargent

wow thanks so much i will go through all this info later. i think there will be more to find out as ther were of number of guys stationed in the house, we also had a general stay here in 1644 during the english civil war so lots to research and metal detect. thanks so much you are a star