Attic find named WW1 medical helmet

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Just got this one yesterday from a picker. I put some Remington oil on it as it was rusty. His name is on the chinstrap too but still can’t quite make out the first name. H. E. Whipple. Came out of PA.Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rooster

Nice helmet.

But you might want to get an old towel or T shirt and gently try to blot that oil off of it.

I dont know this for a fact, but it might work its way under the painted symbol and Name id etc.

And ruin it.

Just my opinion. Applying oil to it prob not a good thing to do.

Others can check me on that. Im no expert.

Awesome helmet though !! Nice find !

Jeffrey Magut

A fine looking helmet. If I'm reading the writing properly, it says A.S. Sec. 604. Herbert E. Whipple, Cook, U.S. Army Ambulance Service Section 604, is on the troop transport list of 6/13/1918. He was from Laceyville PA. A likely match.

The Rooster

Nice helmet.

But you might want to get an old towel or T shirt and gently try to blot that oil off of it.

There is a pinned thread in the helmet forum about oiling helmets etc....

beerdragon54

A fine looking helmet. If I'm reading the writing properly, it says A.S. Sec. 604.  Herbert E. Whipple, Cook, U.S. Army Ambulance Service Section 604, is on the troop transport list of 6/13/1918.  He was from Laceyville PA.  A likely match.

Thank you so much!! I bet that is him for sure and I now that you made out the unit it looks right. I would have never come up with it. I will try and better read the pencil first name on the chinstrap.

I put some Remington oil on it as it was rusty.

It's a shame you missed the pinned "Oiling Your Helmets & Other Helmet Preservation Misconceptions" before you slopped it all over your helmet.

beerdragon54

Well folks it’s like this, nothing could be read at all without putting something on the helmet to bring out the writing which in turn I quickly photographed before it faded again. Without a name it’s just a helmet. Everything it touched it left rust on. It’s for my personal collection and if I’m gonna keep it a long time I’m willing to take the risk. I’ve used Remington oil before and used it on my firearms for 30 years, it is a very light oil that dissipates quite quickly. I don’t want this thread to turn into a conservation thread as we will never all agree on what is best. In conclusion, just relax, enjoy and stay safe out there.

. I’ve used Remington oil before and used it on my firearms for 30 years,

Helmets aren't guns.

Also, in before the "it's your helmet do what you want" crowd.

He was with the USAAS when he left to go over seas and was listed as a cook but nothing was listed for his MOS on his return home.

Marty

A fine looking helmet. If I'm reading the writing properly, it says A.S. Sec. 604. Herbert E. Whipple, Cook, U.S. Army Ambulance Service Section 604, is on the troop transport list of 6/13/1918. He was from Laceyville PA. A likely match.

Just saw this post, I was late to the party.

GREAT JOB!!!!