OG-107 Vietnam era shirt / MACV / 82nd ABN / Major / ENG

luke66

Hi everybody

i'm searching for a OG-107 shirt early Vietnam era, coloured badges, to wear, and i find this one that's looks nice to me, but i got some doubts if it's an original one or not, 'cause i never saw this model with epaulettes before.

May you tell me if it's an original one?

Thanks and kind regards.

Luca

post-294773-0-48901300-1585912863.jpg

post-294773-0-39562100-1585912872.jpg

What is the Branch of Service on this please?

But in the mean time, nothing out of the ordinary about the shoulder loops added to a fatigue shirt, it was somewhat common in the Far East (Usually the Far East) from the late Korean War period though till the very early 1980s, officers and men who did have it done sometimes continued to wear them back in the states.

Here's a Stateside worn one, a Lt Col of the 2nd Armored Division Ft Hood Texas. This one is a further variant cause there is no buttons, they're probably either held down by male female snaps or sewn down at the points.

post-6492-1252251509.jpg

Turn the shirt inside out. If it was actually worn and laundered, the sewn on insignia should have left impressions on the backside.

Sometimes when you see a doctored shirt, the added patches will not have left an impression while anything that was original did.

The insignia all look correct for the early 1960's. It's right for the time period, but was probably worn stateside.

What is the Branch of Service on this please?

But in the mean time, nothing out of the ordinary about the shoulder loops added to a fatigue shirt, it was somewhat common in the Far East (Usually the Far East) from the late Korean War period though till the very early 1980s, officers and men who did have it done sometimes continued to wear them back in the states.

... major, engeneer Branch?

Tks

post-294773-0-09757500-1586002864.jpg

post-294773-0-13717900-1586002866.jpg

Turn the shirt inside out. If it was actually worn and laundered, the sewn on insignia should have left impressions on the backside.

Sometimes when you see a doctored shirt, the added patches will not have left an impression while anything that was original did.

The insignia all look correct for the early 1960's. It's right for the time period, but was probably worn stateside.

It seems to me they looks quite good, is'n it?

Tks

post-294773-0-33926500-1586003030.jpg

post-294773-0-97494200-1586003031.jpg

post-294773-0-00141800-1586003034.jpg

Can an engineer earn a CIB? It could have been earned when he was prior enlisted in Korea or WW2. Maybe he was an EM who served in the infantry in WW2, was discharged in 46, used the GI Bill to go to college, came back in as a 2LT engineer in the early 50s during Korea. He was a major by the mid to late 60s who did a tour with MAC-V in 65-66. Seem plausible? Just my ramblings...

Can an engineer earn a CIB? It could have been earned when he was prior enlisted in Korea or WW2. Maybe he was an EM who served in the infantry in WW2, was discharged in 46, used the GI Bill to go to college, came back in as a 2LT engineer in the early 50s during Korea. He was a major by the mid to late 60s who did a tour with MAC-V in 65-66. Seem plausible? Just my ramblings...

Yes, as a MACV Advisor to the ARVN, seems every officer whatever his branch got one, source, the mid to early Command & General Staff College graduation yearbooks, dozens and dozens of non infantry offices with CIBs for service as MACV Advisors.

Now, lets see if a Major Hawthorne Engineers shows in the O Registers.

Checked the 1967 one, this will be as of 1 January of 1967, this year both RA and AR are combine in the one register, (The other following years are separated into 2 Volumes), and then checked the 1966 one, this will be as of 1 January 1966, this year was 2 Volumes, but only the RA volume and retired lists are available unfortunately. So, in these three lists, no Major Hawthorne Engineers is found.

There is only one possible alternative, this Major Hawthorne Engineers, whether an RA or AR commissioned officer got out sometime in 1965, but that will be hard to tell.

Yes, as a MACV Advisor to the ARVN, seems every officer whatever his branch got one, source, the mid to early Command & General Staff College graduation yearbooks, dozens and dozens of non infantry offices with CIBs for service as MACV Advisors.

Now, lets see if a Major Hawthorne Engineers shows in the O Registers.

That's the mid 60s to early 70s Command & General Staff College graduation yearbooks