I.D. Badge 21st N.Y. Inf. w/ 8 Battle Honors

skypilot6670

J.A Bodamer enlisted as a drummer in May of 1861 in Co.B 21st N.Y.Vol. Inf. he mustered out on 5/18/1863. On 1/26/1864 he joined Co M 24th N.Y.Cav.

My initial research ,after I purchased the badge showed him being dishonorably discharged on 7/21/1865 ,I was very disappointed at this turn of events but decided to press on with pulling his service records and pension file. To my great pleasure his records proved this dishonorable entry to be an error. Boadamer and several others were brought up on charges. His Commanding officer reviewed the case ,threw out the charges and sent the officer home who had proffered the initial charges.

Bodamer it turns out was promoted thru the enlisted ranks to Sargent Major and eventually commissioned 2nd Lieutenant and then promoted to 1st Lieutenant but not mustered as such.

He was captured at Petersburg and held as a POW at Libby ,Belle Isle and Danville before being paroled on 2/22/1865. On 6/17/1865 he was mustered out.

Now comes the real payoff for pulling his complete service file. After his Civil war service he was commissioned in the 10th U.S. Cav. (Buffalo Soldiers) serving with them at Fort Leavenworth until 1870. I was very lucky and pleased with how it all turned out.

post-137056-0-97434500-1585878001_thumb.jpeg

That is one beautiful and historically important badge. It always pays to do the research. Thanks for sharing.

skypilot6670

Thanks Kanemono , there are a lot of mistakes involving these badges and I.D. disc. This badge I would assume to be a 5th Corps because of the Maltese Cross but there is no record of him being in a 5th Corps Unit. Unless it was while he was temporarily attached to the Provost Guard for a brief period. The initial research I did showed his promotions and him being promoted to 1st Lieutenant at the end of his service and then getting a Dishonorable Discharge didn’t add up. When in doubt get the records. His file has over 150 pages and was expensive, but was worth every penny. Anyhow I’ve been rambling on here, thanks for the comment. Mike

USCapturephotos

That is a stunning badge. Based on your last comments...I have also noticed that not everything the Union soldiers did was set in stone...for instance I have seen a few ID pins used by cavalrymen that were simply a silver star...at first thought..oh they must be 12th corps but they weren't attached to the 12th at all. At any rate....again...I believe that to be one of the nicest looking Id badges from the Civil War I have ever seen. I'll have to ask but one of my digging buddies in Virginia dug an id shield to a New York cavalryman...I believe it may have been another soldier in the 21st...or possibly the 24th.

Paul

skypilot6670

Thanks Paul.It really is a nice looking badge. I appreciate your comments. Seeing as I now have an abundance of time online I’ll be posting more badges badges on the forum. Thanks again Fraternally Yours Mike