Most and Least Common Division WW2 Uniforms!

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hey everyone, thought this would be an interesting question to ask:

What are the most common division patches do you see on uniforms?

What are the least common division patches you see on uniforms?

I'll go first:

Most common: 1st, 3rd, 7th Infantry Divisions and 17th and 82nd Airborne Divisions (although the latter two are made up by a lot of fakes and put togethers most likely)

Least common: 31st, 44th, 93rd, and 98th Infantry Divisions.

That's my opinion from my experience though! I'm guessing the reason for the 1st, 3rd, and 7th is they all had a lot of people shuffled through the divisions during the war, and the 82nd/17th because they are a very valuable division. The least common for the opposite of the reasons behind why the most common are well the most common.

Hoping to hear from some other peoples experiences!

Hunt

olivedrab1970

I found this GEM in a bunch of old uniforms I bought on an auction, it was COMPLETE with dog tag in lower pocket! 91st Infantry Div 363 Infantry Regiment Anti Tank Co. CPL. Stanley K Knutson

Robin-

post-162317-0-93292900-1585861466_thumb.jpg

post-162317-0-89906800-1585861472_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

The 23rd, or better known as the Americal Div. I don't see alot of them,

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I collect 36th ID so I am always gonna feel like it's hard lol, but honestly I agree with some of your choices. I also feel like I haven't seen a lot of 42nd or 93rd. I got the first 42nd jacket I've seen in a long while at the SOS simply because it was named and I haven't seen any in a long time. Unfortunately, its a little difficult to research a "Lt Frank Young" when the seller doesn't know the state it came from :)

Collecting WWII uniforms by unit can be a daunting and frustrating task. One of the reasons that you see a lot of certain divisions is that they were not de-activated after WWII. Regular Army units like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc divisions didn't demobilize. Soldiers who served in some units and didn't have enough points for discharge got assigned to existing units. Units like the 82nd, and 1st Divisions that stayed on occupation duty after WWII would see a fair number of soldiers in those units who went home with that division patch on their uniform.

Lots of National Guard divisions continued to be active, like the 33rd, 34th, 35th etc. so you will find those units out there. Geographically, certain units will show up with far more frequency. If I were looking for 28th Division, I should be looking in Pennsylvania for example. I won't find many bloody bucket uniforms in Kansas. I'll find a fair amount of 35th Division uniforms here comparatively.

Back when I was trying to get a uniform from each division, I found the higher number divisions harder to find. As an example, I only ever encountered on 103rd Division and one 106th Division when I was out there looking for them (in the pre-internet days). Units like the 13th A/B, 98th Division, and 20th Armored Division were really hard to find.

Allan

In my experience I concur that the 1st is an easy division to find. The 99th, 28th and 97th in my opinion are hard to come by. As for PTO units, I find more 32nd and 38th than I do 41st and 31st for example

huntssurplus

Seems like a lot of varying answers here, very interesting! Allan, your response makes a lot of sense, I know I have a few 1st ID occupation uniforms and such so I'm not surprised they are easier to find. One would think i would come across some 29th Infantry Division uniforms here in Virginia but unfortunately I have not!

Always interested in more opinions!

Hunt

manayunkman

If you live in PA 28th jackets are not hard to find.

I had quite a few back in the day.

If you live in PA 28th jackets are not hard to find.

I had quite a few back in the day.

Funny thing is, I do have a 28th uniform and live in PA. Havent seen too many pop up though, and when I do, they are always nice pricey in my opinion ( for an average run of the mill one)

Since the reserve and national guard divisions were locally organized, I would imagine that the answer to this largely depends on where you are collecting.

In Virginia, I would think you'd find a lot of 29th Division uniforms since there would be lots of 29th veterans who demobilized, returned home and then those old uniforms went into the back of the closet until they gave them away or passed away.

I'm not a uniform 'collector' but I'm always interested in the uniforms I see when I go shopping in antique malls.

Side note, but it's interesting how many collectors here have found uniforms with ribbons still attached. The ones I see at the antique malls NEVER have ribbons, badges, or anything that's not sewed on. I'm assuming that whoever sells them must pull that stuff off to sell it separately.

huntssurplus

Since the reserve and national guard divisions were locally organized, I would imagine that the answer to this largely depends on where you are collecting.

In Virginia, I would think you'd find a lot of 29th Division uniforms since there would be lots of 29th veterans who demobilized, returned home and then those old uniforms went into the back of the closet until they gave them away or passed away.

I'm not a uniform 'collector' but I'm always interested in the uniforms I see when I go shopping in antique malls.

Side note, but it's interesting how many collectors here have found uniforms with ribbons still attached. The ones I see at the antique malls NEVER have ribbons, badges, or anything that's not sewed on. I'm assuming that whoever sells them must pull that stuff off to sell it separately.

i wish! I don't actually come across too many military items at all in my area, (surprising as my city has a very high volume of veterans) finding 29th ID items would be awesome! They're one of my favorite units because they are local, but unfortunately I don't see to many uniforms or other items.

To comment on your side note, I'm guessing the reason is, like you states, because in order to get to the antique mall the uniforms have probably already changed hands 2 or 3 times at least before sitting there. A lot of times families like to keep ribbons and such too as they are the decorations of the soldier so the best indicator of their military service to keep as a memento + they don't take up nearly as much room as a whole uniform. A lot of collectors here probably by the uniforms direct from families or estate liquidators where they have been basically untouched since the last time they were worn 75 years ago. Those are the best uniforms IMHO the untouched ones. Even if they are missing insignia, nothing beats a uniform that literally has not been changed for 75 years.

Hunt

The Rooster

I dont know so this is really a question. How about an unmessed with artillery NCO's ww2 Tunic with guadalcanal patch on one shoulder and a 10th army patch on the other ? Matching shirt.

Service stripes on the sleve, small ribbon rack Ruptured duck etc.

That's not a Guadalcanal Patch :D That's the Pacific Oceans Area, officially, The U.S. Army Forces Pacific Oceans Area, and not to be confused with Admiral Chester Nimitz's. Pacific Oceans Area,

It was thee highest command in the central pacific, except for MacArthur's GHQ which was separate from The POA in the South West Pacific and Australia. Formed in August 1944 to replace the U.S. Army Forces Central Pacific (They had no shoulder patch )with it's headquarters stationed in Hawaii, it did command an array of combat support and support battalions and or companies sent to the front. The patch itself was adopted in October 1944, but no doubt only worn in Hawaii by the HQ people on their Khakis. The Pacific Oceans Area was redesignated in the summer of 1945 when MacArthure took command of everything in perpetration for the Invasion of Japan, and again well after the war ended, it would eventually be called U.s. Army Pacific in the 50s-70s.. The patch was seen alot being worn on discharging soldiers from Japan or the Philippines as a 'Combat Patch" here just a theather thing, like wearing a 6th Army patch on that side etc, or what some did in Germany then, like wearing a ETO HQ Eagle patch, a 3rd Army one, or with some Patatropers, the 1st Allied Airborne Army.

Just what a Artilleryman (Anti Aircraft or Field Artillery) be in in the POA or as it was now called as of U.S. Army Forces Middle Pacific post VJ Day? Perhaps assigned administratively to a unit within the this organization before discharged.

The African-American divisions. 92nd, 93rd are hard to find.

Also, I have looked for a 96th division (my uncles division) for 20 years no luck.

huntssurplus

I swear uniforms come in waves sometimes.

I understand that: after having seen no more than one or two 85th and 38th Infantry Division jackets on eBay I've seen 3 85th and 2 38th in the last week.

Hunt

everforward

As far as the 29thID uniforms, and because of the draft they (along many other units) were getting recruits from all over the country.....there were other Virginians besides the original NG guys activated in early 1941, but you’ll find 29ers from all over the USA.

ww2guymandude

Saw someone mention not being able to find a 96th for awhile. Coincidentally one popped up on ebay today...

• 5 months later...

I’m not going for every division in my collection, but I have never seen a 16th Armored, 35th Infantry division, 92nd ID, 93rd ID, 98th ID, a 102nd ID, or a Philippine Division. I collect 3rd armored and those are decently common.
Granted, I may just not be monitoring the Internet well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk