Staying in a French Manor Cleared on D-Day

james127

I know that several people on this forum have either been to Normandy or have aspirations of going someday. On our recent trip, we stayed at a place called Le Manoir de Juganville, which is a French manor not far from Utah Beach that was built in the 16th century. To boot, it was also apart of the WXYZ complex that was cleared by Harrison Summers of the 101st Airborne on D-Day. Pretty amazing place with an amazing story. Really affordable too considering where you're staying and what you get while you are there. Anyway, take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NezZBh1lMmQ&t=21s

Another great video, very informative, thank you for posting!

Thanks! Appreciate that. Gonna be hitting some spots tied with the Band of Brother guys in the next one. Should be up on Monday.

Thanks! Appreciate that. Gonna be hitting some spots tied with the Band of Brother guys in the next one. Should be up on Monday.

Great, I look forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you James.

I had never heard of this man or his exploits.

He should have gotten the CMOH for what he did. If he had been killed, they prob woulda

given it to him. What a story !!!

WW2's Sergeant York

http://www.operationmeatball.com/new-girlblog/harrison-summers

Yeah, it really is a shame that he didn't get the MOH. If anybody deserved it, he did.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Backtheattack said:

Another great video. As you said I hope to visit the area one day.

If you ever do, this place was a great one to stay at. Very affordable too.

Backtheattack

Yes, hope I can visit. First I had not enough money for a trip, and now?? Restrictions for travel, for going out your own house without reason. And it seems first time I can plan anything will be in 2021.

manayunkman

I enjoyed all your postings from your Normandy trip.

Are you going to Chambois?

The Moisy fiord? 

The junk yard at Trun if it’s still there?

Last time I was there was in 1982.

3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I enjoyed all your postings from your Normandy trip.

Are you going to Chambois?

The Moisy fiord? 

The junk yard at Trun if it’s still there?

Last time I was there was in 1982.

Unfortunately, I'm already back in the states. Hopefully, I'll get back sometime and see all of those places that you described. 

• 1 month later...
  1. I just caught this one and really enjoyed it. I couldn't get over the wear on the stairs up to your room. The whole area looks beautiful and it's hard to believe it was once smack in the middle of a war. Also, when do we meet your wife and does she have anywhere near the level of interest in this stuff that you do. What did you do say, "let's take a beautiful trip to France" and then drop the itinerary on her when you got there?

23 hours ago, sundance said:
  1. I just caught this one and really enjoyed it. I couldn't get over the wear on the stairs up to your room. The whole area looks beautiful and it's hard to believe it was once smack in the middle of a war. Also, when do we meet your wife and does she have anywhere near the level of interest in this stuff that you do. What did you do say, "let's take a beautiful trip to France" and then drop the itinerary on her when you got there?

Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it. So the wife is unlikely to appear in any of these videos. She makes a concerted effort to stay out from in front of the lens although I've snuck her into a few videos. She wasn't really into history that much until she linked up with me. It's just like anything. Once you know some of the stories behind the facts, you gain an appreciation for it. She's really good to have along because she takes more time to read stuff and picks out things that I'd miss otherwise. 

I was actually there as part of a training for a tour that I was supposed to lead in March (which got cancelled). The tour company flew us to Paris for a few days and then we stayed an extra 5 to go to Normandy and up into Belgium. Felt pretty fortunate to be able to do a trip like that. 

I'd like to say my wife is taking a bit more interest in WW2 as she'll sometimes sit and watch a show with me. I try to reciprocate by watching a show on the Home and Garden network.We have traveled to Gettysburg a couple of times where I had an ancestor killed on Little Round Top with the 140th NY Vols. My Dad was in the Pacific in WW2 and my wife's dad was in the Navy immediately after the war. He literally entered the Navy within a week of Japan signing on the Missouri. I keep telling her that when I assume room temperature she can have all my junque.