Lead POW Navigator Wings?

Kadet

I got these wings in a lot of original USAAF insignia. They appear to have been cast from a set of Meyer wings and have wire sewing loops embedded in the back. To me they compare favorably with original lead POW wings I have seen, but would appreciate opinions!

post-110-0-93426400-1585848587_thumb.jpg

The Meyer shield on the back really bothers me but I'm no expert on the way they manufactured the wings in the Stalags.

The Rooster

I agree about the shield and sterling marks and the entire backside.

Looks too complex to have been made in a pow camp.

I believe that they poured molten lead into a sand mold.

These wings in this post appear to have been poured in a complex 1 piece mold?

In my thinking they are much too elaborately detailed on the back. Should just be a pool of metal

with the pins or what ever added before it cooled.

Of course I could be wrong.

My two cents.

I would have to respectfully disagree. If you take a look at this thread, you can see some original examples that share many of the same characteristics. Several of the wings in the thread were clearly made from original wings, to include the detail on the reverse. The raised areas on the reverse wing tips of mine are also quite similar to one of the examples in the thread. I believe these were the channels used to flow molten lead in to the mold.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2135-wwii-pow-lead-wings/

The Rooster

Wow !!! Thanks for that link! I didnt know they were that elaborte with their molds !

I did not know for sure was just guessing...

I suppose there were experts in all kinds of different trades and skills

in the POW camps. And they had plenty of time... lol

Really cool !!

Thank you !

Thanks, yes some of them were very elaborate indeed. These are very difficult to authenticate without provenance, but my gut feeling is they are real.

These POW camp made wings are extremely difficult to authenticate. I have had a good set in my collection. The back was different from these, but I would imagine each camp or even barracks did things different. Wish I could tell you for sure either way, but that's almost impossible.

JD

I've seen POW wings made similar to this, but usually not with the hallmarks still showing on the reverse. None of the known POW wings I have or have owned has the hallmarks showing on the wings,

The look of the wing doesnt present a red flag to me, however unless a pair of these wings is attributed in a group from a known POW, its really hard to prove authenticity.

Kurt