Construction Study: M42 Jacket

Tom Kibler

While sitting at home during my off hours (in this national/worldwide crisis), I've spent some time in front of my computer. Strangely enough, I began looking over a display of several of my mannequin-mounted M42's. In looking at the upper pocket assembly, I noticed that on two of the jackets, the left breast pocket corner matches to the corner of the zipper-pocket flap. On the other two, they are placed very differently. So I was wondering how other jackets fared? Is this due to the size of the jacket? Poor quality control? Different manufacturers? I am by no means an expert, and I'm looking for some input from more knowledgable collectors. Thoughts?

post-6293-0-79342700-1585790046.jpg

Are they all different sizes?

It is very difficult to tell, as any size information is washed out (of ALL of them). The one pictured with the web belt IS slightly larger than the others. The Schaeffer (name tag) jacket IS slightly smaller - thus one of my initial and aforementioned thoughts was that the differences may be size related. However, not knowing for certain, is one of the reasons I ask.

Perhaps if others can post their jackets with corresponding sizes, we can determine a definitive answer?

cheers Tom, my thinking is that its a mix of loose manufacturing specs as bodes stated and the pocket size being the same so they are varying positions to fit them on the chest panel of the jacket.

Tom, I think the spec probably called for the pockets to be the same dimensions regardless of the jacket size, so the pockets take up more space on smaller jackets. I'm sure there were also maker variations and probably QC issues as well.