WW2 Schulter FS SB named shell, USMC?

MattS

I peeled the 1981 ERDL cover off this old strapless M1 I've had for 10 years and discovered a few things. First, it's a front seam, second it's a Schuleter, and third, it's named. My question is, does this look like a WW2 USMC nametape in format and style? If so, could it be Dallas William Jolley, CPL USMC 1924-2007? https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/100153956/dallas-william-jolley

Thanks for looking!

post-32676-0-52658300-1585752409_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Headstone

Awesome Helmet! Could be his. And thats sad too.

Looks like his wife died in Feb and he went shortly after.

Looks like Medical Tape with a stamp on it.

Didnt they issue those guys rubber stamp and ink kits to mark all their gear?

Awesome Helmet! Could be his. And thats sad too.

Looks like his wife died in Feb and he went shortly after.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

It's kind of a beater, dented with paint loss along with the missing straps. I was going to restore it until I saw the name!

The Rooster

Yea thats a keeper. I try to hold onto the named ones. They are special.

I found one with the guys name and number engraved in it. The guys still alive and a good buddy of mine found his phone number

Korean war vet... I left a message.... I called again and they hung up on me. lol

Im keeping it. The named helmets are the best.

Thats a cool one. A helmet with no name is a helmet left for the imagination.

The name is what makes it special 18 years old and off to WW2 !!!!

.......fixed bail Schlueter to boot !.

The style of "A.B. NAME" is USMC all day long....what confuses most people is "NAME, A.B." is the common way for USN and USCG to ID items.

Thanks for the replies! Next question, any idea why there would be so much tape/adhesive (?) residue on the front? Should I try to clean it off (Goof Off?) or leave it alone?

post-32676-0-59646500-1585755650.jpg

Found out he served 1943-1946, if anyone can add any info about assignments, units, etc. that would be great!

post-32676-0-48673400-1585755786.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I've seen a lot of 60s and 70s M1s with 73+ straps and some PASGTS with tape residue on the front and back, and WWII helmets were used until then, I once had a front seam swivel loop McCord that had been repainted with a silica finish that had tape residue on the front and back. I assume they were used in training, and I associate them with the 1970s-90s. I don't know how far this practice goes, and yours seems like it could be earlier with medical tape and a stamped name, while what I have seen duck tape with sharpied names. My guess is all the tape residue is from each time a new trainee peeled the old name off and put a new piece of tape with their name on, showing this helmet was a dozen times before DW Jolley. In my mind the tape on the front and back, the residue showing it was issued over and over for years, and being found with an ERDL cover makes me feel that DW Jolley was the last to wear this helmet in the 1980s.

But I'm just speculating, I am not knowledgeable about this, and my opinion is not set in stone.

And that could very well be, that this DW Jolley was a Marine in the 70s. I fully realize that M1 shells were reused in the system into the early 1990s (I wore one in basic in the summer of 1990), and this one may have seen a lot of use after it was originally made. As far as the residue, both front and back areas of residue seem to be about the same at 4x6", like a large decal was stuck on and peeled off.

The Rooster

I just thought of something that might explain dents in the top.When I was in basic in 82, alot of the helmets we were issued were dented on the top.

I soon found out that on the Rifle Range, if you messed up bad enough, or they thought you werent listening, the DI would whack people on the top of the helmet with the wooden paddle they signalled the range tower with.

Anyone else remember that ?

rifle range

you would stand, legs apart and hold the rifle pararell to the deck, with arms strecthed out in front of you, when your arms started too drop, you held your rifle above your head and run around the aiming barrel for a couple of minutes

and if we were in the butts pulling targets, we did pull ups looking down range from the target frame while a shooter placing rounds into target !

I remember the DIs having us also hold the targets as blinds so nobody could see them knocking the shinola out of someone who needed discipline. once the battalion CO made a surprise visit while this was going on, we did not see that DI again.

Parris Island

semper fi

I have looked at a LOT of WWII USMC gear, and have never seen named athletic tape on any of it.

This looks like 70s / 80s training stuff to me.

I do not think athletic tape even existed before the 70s.

I have looked at a LOT of WWII USMC gear, and have never seen named athletic tape on any of it.

This looks like 70s / 80s training stuff to me.

I do not think athletic tape even existed before the 70s.

Could be, thanks for posting.