CIB - post WW2 type?

JasonT

I have this CIB that I believe is post WW2 due to the fact that it is not marked sterling, but I can't say for sure. In fact it has no markings at all on the back. It also is not the typical one-piece cast, in that in this example the rifle is attached to the blue enamel. I believe it was a clutch back at one time but for some reason or another the posts were removed. The other thing I can't figure out is why the posts were located so far on the edge of the badge, where nearly all the examples I've found have the posts located either between the end and the wreath or right behind the wreath.

I've checked both this thread (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8348-how-to-know-if-a-cib-is-ww2-dated/) and the very informative website http://36thair3ad.homestead.com/CIB.html and didn't see anything that matches what I have.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

post-154340-0-04247200-1585740621_thumb.jpg

There were many different manufacturers that produced the CIB. So you will encounter many little differences. This badge doesn't look WWII to me. I would say more like 1960's/70's.

Captainofthe7th

I believe these to be post WWII as well and see them frequently on Korean War uniforms but never have I seen one on a WWII uniform. The only hallmarked type I have seen of this style is N.S.Meyer. The two loose ones I happen to have are both marked, but the majority I have handled are blank like yours. They seem to fetch decent prices on ebay for a post war badge.

post-3190-0-73175900-1585758438_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

It should be noted that these soldiers were discharged in Jan 1951, Oct 1951, and Oct 1955. The later one (bottom of the pile, mostly covered) has the CIB that appears to be a second award with the star broken off. So, we can reason at least by the earliest discharge that these were produced and used prior to 1951.

post-3190-0-05071800-1585758460_thumb.jpg

There were many different manufacturers that produced the CIB. So you will encounter many little differences. This badge doesn't look WWII to me. I would say more like 1960's/70's.

I believe these to be post WWII as well and see them frequently on Korean War uniforms but never have I seen one on a WWII uniform. The only hallmarked type I have seen of this style is N.S.Meyer. The two loose ones I happen to have are both marked, but the majority I have handled are blank like yours. They seem to fetch decent prices on ebay for a post war badge.

Thank you both for the feedback. What about mine jumps out to you as confirming post WWII? Is it the fact that the rifle is detached/not cast with the rest of the badge? These were found with a few of the domed collar brass, so this makes sense.

Captainofthe7th

Thank you both for the feedback. What about mine jumps out to you as confirming post WWII? Is it the fact that the rifle is detached/not cast with the rest of the badge? These were found with a few of the domed collar brass, so this makes sense.

For me it is just that I have never seen one on a real WWII uniform or in a group - only post war.

Rob

Definitely post war, the 3D style like this are almost always post war. The earlier 3D ones I think came around during the occupation period after WW2

For me it is just that I have never seen one on a real WWII uniform or in a group - only post war.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Definitely post war, the 3D style like this are almost always post war. The earlier 3D ones I think came around during the occupation period after WW2

thanks Wake1941 for the feedback!

Captainofthe7th

The other 'common' 3D type you see are the GEMSCO pattern with big oak leaves and acorns. Similarly these are hallmarked and blank, but if I recall all have been sterling. These look like nickel or rhodium plated (if that was even around). They do not tarnish. As you can see on the back on my 2d award there is a worn spot where copper(?) is showing through, so that may be the base metal.

Rob

BigJohn#3RD

I'm not an SME on CIB but have been collecting them since I was a kid back in the '60s. The one initially posted looks like one I picked up from an Insignia mail-in co out of NYC back in the day. I have had similar CIB's in veterans WW2 veteran groupings.

I think the reason is in part due to the shorter pins and pinback that did not hold, and a veteran more than likely lost the original, or it was in a shadow box. Also, veterans going to unit reunions or conventions tend to buy after marker badges, pins medal, etc.

Forum member Michael Tucker has published an outstanding and well-researched book with lots of color pictures of variations of the CIB. If you buy, sell, trade, collect WWII, and later U.S. Army Military items, it is well worth having Tucker's book in your reference library.

"Combat Infantryman Badge 1943-1975" Paperback – Unabridged, 2012

by Michael F. Tucker (Author)

It is on Amazon and well worth the $20.00 for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EF6H0E?tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

I'm not an SME on CIB but have been collecting them since I was a kid back in the '60s. The one initially posted looks like one I picked up from an Insignia mail-in co out of NYC back in the day. I have had similar CIB's in veterans WW2 veteran groupings.

I think the reason is in part due to the shorter pins and pinback that did not hold, and a veteran more than likely lost the original, or it was in a shadow box. Also, veterans going to unit reunions or conventions tend to buy after marker badges, pins medal, etc.

Forum member Michael Tucker has published an outstanding and well-researched book with lots of color pictures of variations of the CIB. If you buy, sell, trade, collect WWII, and later U.S. Army Military items, it is well worth having Tucker's book in your reference library.

"Combat Infantryman Badge 1943-1975" Paperback – Unabridged, 2012

by Michael F. Tucker (Author)

It is on Amazon and well worth the $20.00 for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EF6H0E?tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Thanks for the info and the link to Michael Tucker's book