Mare Island Ensign 4-May 1943-How to preserve.

5thrangerson

5thrangerson

Acquired this flag recently and am not quite sure how to care for it. Flag is kind of dirty but not super bad. What are the best ways to take care of it? Wish I had a flag pole to fly it on but mine is kind of small. Sorry about the pics but the wind was blowing and the grandkids couldn't control the flag very well!!

Thanks for any help

post-151405-0-02346300-1585718355_thumb.jpg

post-151405-0-46954800-1585718374_thumb.jpg

post-151405-0-71195000-1585719018.jpg

The Rooster

I dont know much in particular. That is a very nice historic flag. Mare Island Navy Yard. May 1943. U.S. Navy WW2 . Doesnt get much more historic than that and its huge ! How big is it ? 20x30 ?

15x20 feet??? Larger ?

The main thing that I have to say about your original question of taking care of it and preserving it. Dont fly it.

Dont take it outside. I wouldnt wash it either. Fold it up CAREFULLY and put it some where dry and safe maybe in a big plastic bag with a several packets of moth

balls thrown in for good measure. Thats got to be a very Rare Flag in my opinion.

I think it was Made in May 1943 at MARE ISLAND. Thats what the stamping indicates from other

examples Ive found looking on google images..

NIce !!! Great Find.

dhcoleterracina

A Navy #4 is a little over 12 by 23 feet in size. It's a monster. I have a similar #4 from Mare Island too but mine is dated from the 1920's. I agree with comments that it should not be washed/cleaned. I have a #6 that I fly from a wire between my garage and house with wood clamps but only on special occasions and only for a matter of hours. If you could figure out a way, yours is still strong enough to be flown for a few hours and then be put away. It might even be healthy for the flag to be aired out and refolded differently so that the material doesn't break at the fold. I store my flags loosely in plastic tubs with moth balls. Initially I was worried about whether or not the plastic might damage my flags but in doing research I found that they are safe. Keep out of light.

With regard to value, the smaller the flag size, the more valuable. A #12 might have been used on a tender or other small craft but it is sought after because it is more easily framed. Your flag is more "historically" valuable because it would have flown on a large ship. I've been collecting a while and a #4 is the largest I've seen so far. The problem is that it is difficult to display and they usually are boxed up in a closet. Fewer flag collectors too than say medals. Do you have history on it? If not, you might think about back-tracking to see if any exists.

5thrangerson

I will see what I can do. The guy I got from's Dad was in the navy so that would be a good guess. I can't remember what he did. Thanks for the advice all, I have it in a plastic tote right now but I need to get some backup to help fold it up. Plus wait for a windless day which here in Idaho is few and far between. Not to mention earthquakes and everything else. "oh bother"

dhcoleterracina

Great, I would try and get all you can, including his full name. His name will show on ship rosters even if the family is unsure what ship he was on. Good luck. .

dhcoleterracina

Too bad, most of mine are "anonymous" but I always check with sellers and some do have information. Still a cool flag.