Blancard & Co. / Thomas Mountford - Safety Catch (so-called Tiffany catch)

Often referred to as the Tiffany catch, Chris (cwnorma) brought to light it was actually Blancard & Co of New York, that manufactured this safety catch. This safety catch was not exclusive to, but certainly prevalent on WWI wings produced in the New York / New Jersey area. Companies like Wm. Link and E.A. Dreher & Son of Newark, NJ, and Tiffany & Co, I. Scheuer, and Johnson Manufacturing Company of New York, all utilized this safety catch on their WWI wing badges.

However, I think it's time Thomas Mountford finally received his due credit. After all, it was he who invented this safety catch for Blancard & Co. in May 1909 and patented 1 March 1910. So here's to Thomas Mountford for his innovative safety catch.

post-12287-0-97010100-1585704639_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-95601200-1585704651_thumb.jpg

post-12287-0-67452700-1585704810.jpg

post-12287-0-61298100-1585704939.jpg

Pete,

This is some great information! It does make me wonder if people will ever stop calling it a "Tiffany Clasp" though... :unsure:

Chris

The dreaded Tiffany/Blancard/Mountford catch, is finally brought to the light of day! I know Chris keeps scolding me because I cannot remember the Blancard name and cheat by calling it the Tiffany catch (your are right to wonder about my ability to change my ways, Chris). This is some more great information and primary source research. You know, we could write a book about WWI wings from just these last dozen or so threads that would probably contain more information than all the other books combined. Sure, we are standing on the shoulders of giants, but it would be something.

Perhaps someone may be planning on doing the very same thing, and taking credit. Cheaters got to cheat, plagiarizers got to plagiarize, and casters got to cast.

• 4 months later...

Dredging up an old post I came across.  Blancard & Co. was  started by my great grandfather Christian Blancard. It carried on under my grandfather Frederick Blancard and his brothers, and later by my father Frederick Blancard Jr.  Thomas Mountford was a long time employee and family friend. I've slowly been gathering the family history and the company's history. Once or twice a year I do a google search for information on the my ancestors and the company. Each time, something new comes up. I keep learning, thanks for sharing this information.   Christian came here from Germany in 1871 and founded Blancard & Co. in 1874. Here is a photo of Christian and myself. 

Steve Blancard

Christian and Steve.JPG

rathbonemuseum.com

Look how long it took us to sort out the J.O. Brien vs. Josiah Odence mis-identification. Research and citation wins every time!