In what time frame were these camo trousers issued?

T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini

Thanks so far, everyone! As some have noticed, the hip pocket closes with a single button and the ankle has a draw cord, not the nylon strip that my issue pants had. The cargo pocket, I now notice, is also different. I'll post a photo of the pocket in a moment.

Thanks!

Tom

T Ambrosini

So, the rest of the story is they were given to me around 1995 by a friend who is a retired USAF pilot. He was thinning out stuff and thought I could use them. They were similar to my hot weather BDUs but not quite the same. I never wore them out of fear of getting "gigged" (using green para-cord to lace up my jungle boots was as adventurous as I had wanted to get. Never noticed by anyone and I never had to worry about a broken boot lace!)

Tom

The cargo pocket...

Yep that's the RDF camo with the single pleat in the center. BDU pants had two pleats at 1/3 and 2/3 of the width.

When I went through basic and AIT in 1980, Rangers, SF and some elite units wore those, everyone else wore the OD green perma pressed fatigues.

The white nylon label Ron with the one wash and the printing comes off !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirt was badged to a 82nd Airborne vet (wings,CIB,pocket patch) til a patch pirate stripped it.

post-342-0-30796800-1585694255_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-59390300-1585694281_thumb.jpg

T Ambrosini

Thanks for the help! This discussion has me wondering how many variations of the woodland BDUs I had been issued over time. I remember the first ones had the really big collars and waist adjustment tabs. The next generation had smaller collars and retained the waist adjustment tabs. I seem to recall my last issue had dropped the waist adjustment tabs altogether.

Thanks again!

Tom

Three styles of camo that began with ERDL:

- Vietnam era ERDL - white labels and slant pockets on the shirts, zippers on the pants

- RDF ERDL - white labels and straight pockets, buttons on the pants

- Woodland - green labels

post-2-0-45009700-1446393269.jpg

Here is my ERDL ? With slant pockets. I wore this blouse and helmet in 76-80 while serving with the 82nd Airborne, 1/17th Cav. The timeline does not seem to match with what we were actually wearing.post-180924-0-72230900-1585716355_thumb.jpeg

That would be the regular bdu when they first came out, not the hot weather set. I entered basic in 82 Jan and had white labels. No hot temp out yet ss well as the camo coat. Still wore the od green over camo with od pile cap.

Here is my ERDL ? With slant pockets. I wore this blouse and helmet in 76-80 while serving with the 82nd Airborne, 1/17th Cav. The timeline does not seem to match with what we were actually wearing.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not uncommon to see over lap of the uniforms and issued until stocks depleted.

I have mentioned it before but will also say it again I have a set of camos from a high school friend who gave them to me after he returned from USMC boot camp to visit.The camo shirt is a slant pocket 1973 dated ERDL shirt in the color collectors call "brown dominant" and the camo trousers in a later pattern dated 1979.These were issued to him as a new recruit in 1979 after he graduated high school and entered the Marine Corps.His name is inked on the inside of the camos.When I saw he had the old slant pocket jacket I said that's a Vietnam era shirt..he just said its what I was issued and it didn't matter if the colors matched or not.You wore what you were given....camo was camo.

Also common to see SF and Rangers to wear the older issue ERDL camo or a mix of issue camo prior to the Woodlands.

Even here I have seen the old jungle greens wore by some in the guard units as a authorized summer weight uniform at some point.I have a slant pocket jacket with the 47th Infantry Division patch which was worn by the guard here in the Midwest before

redesignating as the 34th Infantry Division.