In what time frame were these camo trousers issued?

T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini

I was rummaging through my duffel bags and dredged these up... They predate the BDUs I was issued in 1984, and I'm not sure when they were issued. Any help is appreciated.

post-200450-0-18548900-1585635600.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

hi, just saw your post, while im sure there are far more learned people on the forum,, this looks like a a very late version of the ERDL patterns, (but then again, the us marines in beruit were issued them as well)..

These are not ERDL, RDF, or anything else. They are US Army issue summer weight BDU in ripstop. They were first issued in 1985 I believe.

Allan

The Rooster

Rip Stop Lightweight hot weather BDU's I was going to say I first saw them in the mid 80's. But we were National guard and we were the last to get new issue items.

The Rooster

Here is my issue Hot Weather BDU issued Blouse.

Ive got the pants too. Vintage 80's... lol Time really does fly !!

I can still get the pants on !! Barely.

post-181333-0-33686600-1585663760.jpg

The Rooster

Here is my issue Hot Weather BDU issued Blouse.

Ive got the pants too. Vintage 80's... lol Time really does fly !!

I can still get the pants on !! Barely.

post-181333-0-68562400-1585663841.jpg

The Rooster

These things were a whole lot nicer to wear in June and July when it was 95 100 degrees

with high humidity.

post-181333-0-67158000-1585663975.jpg

The Rooster

Tag on shirt says

COAT HOT WEATHER WOODLAND CAMOFLAUGE.

i think it was 1986 I was issued this. And we had an authorized way to roll up the sleeves on bdu's when we were authorized sleeves up. You didnt just roll them up. you did it in such a way as to leave enough cuff at the end to roll down over the inside of the shirt that was showing when you rolled them up. Leaving the cammo side showing. As opposed to the Marines at that time that just rolled them up leaving the light inner side showing. We always thought they were sloppy looking !!! lol lol....

Army Regulations you know.

The Rooster

Just noticed the draw strings on the pants cuffs are different than what I have. Yours is a cord where as mine is a light green nylon flat ribbon type draw string. I cut the draw string on all my BDU's never used the draw string.

Three styles of camo that began with ERDL:

- Vietnam era ERDL - white labels and slant pockets on the shirts, zippers on the pants

- RDF ERDL - white labels and straight pockets, buttons on the pants

- Woodland - green labels

post-2-0-45009700-1446393269.jpg

So with the button fly, white labels, these pants are for certain RDF (Rapid Deployment Force) camo (ERDL ended in 1975, Woodland/BDU began in 1981).

Manchu Warrior

I believe that they are RDF ERDL pants.. Easy way to find out is to compare the pants to a pair of BDU pants and the camouflage pattern on the ERDL pants will be noticeably smaller.

I think the single button for the pants pocket flap is another indication of RDF/ERDL. All my BDUs had two buttons on the pants pockets.

EDITED TO ADD: Show us a picture of the cargo pocket on the leg. IIRC the RDF camo pants had a single pleat in the center and I know BDU pants all had two pleats placed at 1/3 and 2/3 of the width.

Not sure how this fits in with discussion since I am not a camo/uniform collector but I am attaching a photo from September 1979 Leatherneck which shows the Utility Uniforms issued in 1979 - I had 2 sets with slanted pockets and 2 sets with straight pockets - it was a ripstop material and more comfortable than the Sateens.

The trousers had 2 pleats on the leg pockets

Bill

post-248-0-89402100-1585672837.jpeg

post-248-0-43881200-1585672849.jpeg

in 1976 on Okinawa we were issued and wore a mix of the pea green, slant pocket 1970 ERDL and those later brown, straight pocket RDF things. What ever you were handed you wore,

I know my buddy went in USMC boot camp in 78,Not sure of the month and was issued sateen's, I came in in August of 79 and was issued a sateen cover with cammy blouse and pants.

The pic USMCR79 shows in post # 21 was my daily wear. Until they came out with the "We are wasting money an all these different utilities types" Then we ALL wore horizontal pocketed crappy camo till I got out in 86.

Semper Fi

Phil

Three styles of camo that began with ERDL:

- Vietnam era ERDL - white labels and slant pockets on the shirts, zippers on the pants

- RDF ERDL - white labels and straight pockets, buttons on the pants

- Woodland - green labels

post-2-0-45009700-1446393269.jpg

Some of the early woodland camos have white labels...I have one with a DLA-81 date with white labels