Vietnam Special Forces Sgt major

Lancer-86

Hey guys,

I have been given the opportunity to pick this up, but have little to no special forces experience. Do this look ok?post-140032-0-36433400-1585589422.jpeg

The Special Forces tab was created in 1983, so this was worn well past the end of hostilities in Vietnam. It is odd that the guy would have a basic SVN para badge and a US Senior para wing. They USUALLY match. These uniforms were worn up to around 1990.

The TRADOC patch and the SGM rank would have me looking for ROTC cadre.

Now the million dollar question- are you buying for $25 or $250? If the price is less than sum of the parts, then it is most likely real.

Allan

Rank on collar as well as the SF tab are post VN indicators...would say this Army Sergeant Major was still active in the post VN years

See a 2nd Award CIB also

Vietnam -Desert Storm..? then instructor ?

Panama, Grenada?

And yes, it looks perfectly good.

riflegreen297

It would have to be Korea & Vietnam for CIB 2nd Award. Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm did not qualify a Vietnam earned CIB for a 2nd award.

In 1983 following the invasion of Grenada it was discovered that the temperate weather BDU uniform was terribly uncomfortable in hot weather. Until the hot weather BDU could be fielded, around 1985 - 86 or so, limited stores of Vietnam-era OG-107 jungle fatigues were issued on a limited basis to some units for wear in the field.

A few units - mostly Special Operations units like the Ranger Regiment, some Special Forces Groups and a few others, then adopted the OG-107 as a "unit standard" and wore them in garrison as well as in the field. You can frequently see Ranger School graduation photos from the 1980's where everyone is wearing either the Vietnam era OD green jungle fatigues or the updated 1980's version (identifiable because of the straight pockets on the jacket vs. slanted pockets.)

By the time the Hot Weather BDU was issued army wide (by about 1987-88) the use of green Vietnam era fatigues was eventually relegated to "field only" and except for a few specialized units, the practice pretty much disappeared by the time of Desert Storm in 1991.

With the TRADOC patch (training and doctrine command) I'd also think this is likely an ROTC or perhaps an instructor at another school (not at the infantry school, though, as infantry school personnel would have worn the "Follow Me" patch.)

When I was in ROTC from 1973 to 1974 a lot of the instructors were ex-Special Forces, many with Vietnam service.

From what I was told, the Army had more SF folks then they had slots after the draw down. So many of the SF guys were offered a choice.... go to a more conventional line infantry unit (with a few going to the Airborne) or go to ROTC. The carrot for ROTC duty was that they could continue to wear their Green Beret. That right there made the decision for most of them.

I knew this officer...Panama vet.,3rd Ranger Bn, One of the first 3 in Noriega office.

He attended West Point after Panama graduating in 1995

post-342-0-58664000-1585700246.jpg