Need Help Identifying Painted Helmet Symbol

RonnieBigR800

RonnieBigR800

Hello all, recently Ive been picking up some new M1 fixed-bail helmets and came across this particular painted beauty. The orange II symbol reminds me of either oversized captains bars, or the II Army Corps Calvary (they had an orange color around their patch in the early part of the war). Either way, I simply cannot match this helmet to any images during the war. Has anyone even seen this style of painting before? Has anyone ever seen this color of division paint? Anything helps! Also, on the brim of the helmet shell appears to be a name - Looks like Murphy but I cant entirely see it due to the majority being worn away and what also looks like the remaining paint marks of a similar II above the name. I know some of you on here have been collecting since before I was even a thought in my parents life so please feel free to add anything! Thank you!!

post-170125-0-80282700-1585505736.jpeg

Maybe, here's a photo of Lloyd R. Fredendall wearing a large metal Roman numeral II on his Garrison Cap, the original poster of this photo, member seanmc1114 hypothesized it may stand for II Corps, a unit as you know that he commanded in Africa, that is till after the Battle of Kasserine Pass, then he gets sacked and Patton takes command.

post-1761-0-93840000-1570025249.jpg

RonnieBigR800

Thank you all for the helpful responses!! I knew this would be the best place to find expert advice and hard to find photos. You guys rock, thank you!

RonnieBigR800

What may be an overzealous yellow pfc marking... Perhaps some soldiers just wanted to stand out in the crowd ;)

net2.jpg

I thought this exactly at first, however on the side of the helmet shell is what looks like another spot where a large II was painted. Who knows, its so hard to find non-textbook symbols :/

post-170125-0-69513300-1585612831_thumb.jpeg

post-170125-0-86225600-1585612846.jpeg

manayunkman

Where did the helmet originate from?

Im inclined to think that you are correct about II Corps.

And the PFC helmet maybe everyone needed to know it was him from a distance ?

RonnieBigR800

Can you take a picture of the II outside in the shade?

Does it have shellac over it?

The helmet came from a New Hampshire estate sale (from what Im told but you know how that song and dance always goes). There is no shellacking which is why Im thinking most of the shell paint has been worn off. But I will go take some shade pictures now! ?

RonnieBigR800

Heres the best photos I can get. After doing further research, I found out the orange border behind the II Army Corps patch was for the signal corps. Im now starting to believe this may have been a radiomans helmet.

post-170125-0-89675900-1585616870_thumb.jpeg

post-170125-0-43730800-1585616908.jpeg

post-170125-0-71881300-1585616933.jpeg

RonnieBigR800

The helmet came from a New Hampshire estate sale (from what Im told but you know how that song and dance always goes). There is no shellacking which is why Im thinking most of the shell paint has been worn off. But I will go take some shade pictures now! ?

post-170125-0-98268700-1585617060.jpeg

RonnieBigR800

The insignia on the steel shell looks like it’s under the paint.

Interesting. I'll check out the shell some more, however I'm almost 100% positive this is the first and original coat of OD paint. My photos do almost no justice and we haven't had a nice day out yet, but hopefully tomorrow I can snag some pictures in natural sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...
RonnieBigR800

Here is an outside photo. Will attach more

post-170125-0-64018700-1586408577_thumb.jpeg

RonnieBigR800

Here is an outside photo. Will attach more

Here is the side image. I believe this helmet was a radioman/radar control personnel from camp Murphy, Fl. It looks like MURPHY is written across the front.

post-170125-0-24664500-1586408730_thumb.jpeg