Long Out of Shanghai

Dirk

I had planned to do a display at the Baltimore Show, but the Convid-19 had different plans for the region so I will be presenting something here I had planned to display there: a named uniform to a 4th Marine to a Trumpter. Saw this one on eBay....Looked like a good Chinese tailor label. Not identified in the sellers description, but pictured owners initials, thread color looked right, so it was off to the reference collection. I found Loo Bill ran adverts in the Walla Wallas in the mid 30's calling himself "tailor to the Second Battalion", so the original owner had to be from that battalion. I picked it up, fully prepared to go through every Annual until I found initials that matched. Upon arrival I did find it had "France" stamped droopys which I understand are not good, so those were going to be replaced. Second, I discovered a name in the sleeve.....so it was off to the Muster Rolls where the owner turned up in the Second Battalion, F Company as the Trumpeter. With a Forum member's help swapped out the EGAs for those shown here. Although we are having trouble locating his File, I don't think he was entitled to a Yangtze Medal....a seller added item, but I'll leave it. The uniform has Port and Starboard Trumpeter's ratings which is good. So I finally get a Shanghai-made enlisted coat, most likely Bill took an issue jacket and did some work on it to include new sleeve linings and silk interior and initials. Sorry about missing the Baltimore Show, but happy with the coat.

IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_7984.jpg

huntssurplus

Awesome uniform and detective work! I like the trumpet rating patch, that's really cool!

What are "France" stamped droopy's and why did they have to be replaced?

Thanks for sharing!
Hunt

Thanks!! I am no EGA expert, but one member on the Forum who is, does not believe these are good...always open to opinions

3E1BF3D7DCA447DB9186DCDB34D0841E.jpg

9AB9ADE7B8C549E2B3FA8FF4D6490EF9.jpg

huntssurplus

Ah okay! I'm not much of an EGA expert either so I can't really comment. Definitely an interesting uniform though!

Hunt

Thanks Kevin! Easier finding officers shanghai made uniforms then enlisted imho so glad to add one to the collection...

Beautiful uniform, Dirk. I think the EGAs were fabricated from originals elsewhere in the world!. Semper Fi - Bob