How do i get my great grandfathers ww2 medals replaced?

WW2UsCollector

WW2UsCollector

Hello, for a while now I've been wanting to my my great grandfathers medals replaced. One time he talked about never getting his medals. He was in the Army Air Corp as a crew chief in the india-burma campaign he repaired B-17's. He was awarded the WW2 Victory Ribbon, American Theater Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon/with 2 stars, and Good Conduct Medal. I'm not sure how to go about replacing these? I have his discharge papers that states the medals that i just mentioned. Any help would be appreciated!

WW2UsCollector

Do i still need do request the medal records even know i have a paper stating the medals he was awarded?

Three options, one, use the above link to request them from the government and wait 4-6 months after which time they will send you modern restrike medals.

Two, buy them for $5 each off eBay. Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-GOOD-CONDUCT-MEDALS-SEE-STORE-SALE-3-AUCTIONS-TRUE-COMBINE-SHIPPEN/113908511421?hash=item1a8579f2bd%3Ag%3AGcoAAOSwE-9dkoCc&LH_BIN=1

Or three, ask folks on here that deal in medals to help you out.

I would do as MattS suggested and buy WW2 era medals off Ebay or post a want ad on the forum. Yes, you can get free ones from the government, but it will be modern versions. The re-strike medals aren't as detailed as the original either.

All those ways are good options! I bought WWII-era medals through this forum to make a display about my GGGUncle. I requested medal replacements for my Grampa, who was a career USCG petty officer during the 40s-60s. Now, I have also an old-style USCG GCM, and am trying for an old-style USCG Commendation medal. but, in the meantime, I do have official replacements. Now, the USCG did a sloppy job of replacement. I've helped firends and other get replacements for US Army vets, and they did a much better job at replacements.

The only people to be allowed to get replacements though, are NOK. Grandkids can't. Is one of your grampa's kids still living?

Actually . . . wait! Seeing you typed what he earned. I think I can just supply you with WWII-era things of those! Send me a PM! I'll go through my box of stuff and see if I have it all! The only thing I'm unsure of is the American Theatre ribbon. Is the the American Defence ribbon? Please, let me know! I'd love to help you!

I don't have a wide variety of medals around, but I do have these, and I'd love to help!

My GGGUncle was an Engineer/Gunner on B-17s and B-24s in the Alsaka/Aleutians. He was KIA during a raid, so didn't live to see victory, but I have a special heart for USAAC/USAAF mechanics!

WW2UsCollector

I would also love to get all the medals from my great grandfathers brother 2 of them were KIA and the other one was in the navy but it would be a lot of work a not sure how to go about it

Do you have any info about the three brothers, that you can share? Name, dates, plcae of residence help. Also, any military info that you know of? I can give a shot at looking them up. Also, you can often pretty much figure out the campaign and service medals. Valour medals are the ones that you have to dig for more so than the others. :)

gijoeonthego

If you are the oldest after everybody has passed, then ok do it. If there someone before you ask them to help you and have them write up an authorization for you to receive them.