Ft Sill Guardhouse, Oklahoma - 1909ish

kfields

Here is a nice old photograph of a group of soldiers armed with pistols.

I corresponded back and forth with folks at the Ft Sill Museum folks and they said it was definitely taken at the old Guard House. Based on different aspects of their uniforms, they thought this photograph was taken in about 1909.

Kim

post-60-0-69083300-1585429457_thumb.jpg

Using terminolgy I am familar with when I was in the service, I wonder if this group was part of a "Guard Mount" that did walk-throughs to check everything was locked up and put away for the evening, lower/raise the flag, keep the peace at night, raise the alarm if needed, that sort of thing. Looks like two squads worth of soldiers more or less.

...and yes that first step looks like a whopper - a real hip killer!

Kim

It took me several years of on again-off again looking at old photos to determine where this was taken. Thought it might have been Ft Riley or one of the other old forts in the southwest.

Rakkasan187

Kim,

Hope you don't mind me adding these pictures. I was TDY at Ft Sill a few years ago and took some photos. Unfortunately these are the only ones that I was bail to save from my old phone.

Leigh

This was taken on the side of the Guard house.

post-5554-0-89567000-1585434406_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

This was taken inside, where they have an exhibit of the bunks and other items that were used and in the basement are some of the jail cells..

post-5554-0-83273700-1585434521_thumb.jpg

Leigh