B.M. CO. M8 scabbards

Peter279

Hello,

I'm searching for specifications about M8 scabbards from B.M. CO.
Is the serial number (B 1/6 N in my case) allows to determine a period production ?
Like MC Cord M1 shells for example.

Thank you,

post-291572-0-74062300-1585348124_thumb.jpg

post-291572-0-69648500-1585348134_thumb.jpg

Peter279- Hard to pin down an exact date, but since it does not have the M1910 belt hook, which was introduced around April-May of 1944. So a good guess would be say March of 44". For what it's worth many M8 stamped throats were used when the scabbard was re-designated M8A1 with the addition of the belt hook. Maybe one of the other members can give you a little more info. SKIP

Peter279,

The "BN" number helps to determine the chronology of the M8 scabbards, but not the specific date. In your case, the 1/6 should be read 16. If a scabbard has a BN number of 1/7, then reading it as 17, you can determine that it was made one lot batch later than yours. If a scabbard has a 5/0 number, then it is a late WWII M8A1 scabbard. I have an M8 scabbard that reads /1 which is one of the first ones made. One forum member has said he has a B / N. Blank/Blank. I haven't seen it though.

Marv

Peter279,

The "BN" number helps to determine the chronology of the M8 scabbards, but not the specific date. In your case, the 1/6 should be read 16. If a scabbard has a BN number of 1/7, then reading it as 17, you can determine that it was made one lot batch later than yours. If a scabbard has a 5/0 number, then it is a late WWII M8A1 scabbard. I have an M8 scabbard that reads /1 which is one of the first ones made. One forum member has said he has a B / N. Blank/Blank. I haven't seen it though.

Marv

That would be me. It's an early M3, and I told Gary Cunningham before he published his last book on U.S. Knife Bayonets and Scabbards. I don't know if anyone else has one this early.

post-11546-0-35896600-1585432365_thumb.jpg

That would be me. It's an early M3, and I told Gary Cunningham before he published his last book on U.S. Knife Bayonets and Scabbards. I don't know if anyone else has one this early.

Thanks, thorin6,

I'll steal the picture and put it in my file. That's absolutely awesome.

Marv

Thanks, thorin6,

I'll steal the picture and put it in my file. That's absolutely awesome. While your at it, can you post a picture of the whole thing?

Marv

A couple of other things on the early M3 scabbard; most of the paint has worn off, which is typical of early M3s. It also doesn't have the extra plastic ridges in the toe to keep the bayonet from rattling and no metal tabs to hold the bayonet tight.

I've also seen examples where instead of a number or blank there is a period or a dot where one of the numbers would normally be.

My B /1 N has a dot rather than being left blank. Also, interestingly enough, this early M8 has the internal ridges that are so prominent, that the bayonet won't go in unless it is centered correctly.

Marv

post-26996-0-99501000-1585454682.jpg

Indeed, wonderful scabbards.
Thank you for the sharing.
In comparison with B 0/0 N and B 0/1 N, B 1/6 N would be a recent one !

Thanks, thorin6,

I'll steal the picture and put it in my file. That's absolutely awesome. While your at it, can you post a picture of the whole thing?

Marv

Here you go. This is also the bayonet that came with the scabbard, a UHF 1942 dated M1905.

post-11546-0-29691500-1585497495_thumb.jpg