AAF Technical DUIs

smwinter207

Nice set. I have one of that type and I suspect that they might be made by Gemsco. My reason for suspecting this is that I have a pair that have the same style plastic backing but are marked:

22K Gold

Gemsco

in two lines on the back. My guess is that this was just a fancier version of the same pin that you could have made in gold instead of sterling since neither were vital to the war effort. I will try posting a picture in a few days once I find where I stored them.

And Patches That is a part of how they were made, I think they are intended to keep the otherwise very thin DI from being crushed. They could probably be removed with some effort but they do not separate easily in the examples that I have and doing so would possibly break them.

Nice set. I have one of that type and I suspect that they might be made by Gemsco. My reason for suspecting this is that I have a pair that have the same style plastic backing but are marked:

22K Gold

Gemsco

in two lines on the back. My guess is that this was just a fancier version of the same pin that you could have made in gold instead of sterling since neither were vital to the war effort. I will try posting a picture in a few days once I find where I stored them.

And Patches That is a part of how they were made, I think they are intended to keep the otherwise very thin DI from being crushed. They could probably be removed with some effort but they do not separate easily in the examples that I have and doing so would possibly break them.

Thanks Ray

Yes, they are WWII era. I've seen this style before. There are a number of different manufacturing variations of this crest out there.

The plastic insert in in there as the crests were supposed to be marked sterling, but the thin stamping did not lend itself to striking "sterling" into the metal or putting the word into the die.

This design has got to be the most common DUI of WWII, but this type is one of the most desirable. Yes, these were indeed made by Gemsco, The plastic used is the same plastic as was used by Gemsco to create the plastic 501st PIR DUI.

Allan