• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi

I have this patch, I really like but I know nothing about it

could tell me more

thanks in advance for your help

regards, hughes

post-2055-0-95360400-1585327930_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for items about US Tank Destroyer, Belgium Congo and Mercenaries in Katanga

Looks like it could be for some joint commando mission or something? With the eagle and two crests. Very cool! Hope someone comes back! Wonder if 55 means the year or unit?

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

Both of those symbols are for Special Operations.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Those two winged stilettos should be a clue! :) Could it be two countries doing a combined operation? Although, you'd wonder why the Eagle, then.

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I hate guessing, but there is a 55th Rescue Sq. in AFSOC. Before that they were the 55 Special Operations Sq. Maybe this helps.

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)

Found the patch for the 55th SOS, but not this one.

donation2018.gif

Found one other online but they didn't know what it was either. However, it was green tinted. Eagle and background dark olive drab.

donation2018.gif

Here is an answer to one part of the mystery:

Air Force Special Operations Command emblem -

post-151812-0-31636500-1585404829_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gif

Here is another piece of it:

US Army Airborne Special Operations Aviation Command -

post-151812-0-14375300-1585405178.jpg

So, now the thing is to figure out when the AF Spec Ops Command and the Army Spec Ops Aviation command went together for something in or to do with 55!

At least we aren't looking for a joint venture between two countries. :)

donation2018.gif

This is crazy! I'm not going to sleep well at night if I don't know the answer to this mystery! -grin-

donation2018.gif

Someone on eBay Canada sold one they stated was obtained from the manufacturer. They sold it as a patch from the 1 Special Operations Squadron Goose 55. Anyone able to say if that means something and is something and might be something? :)

Here's the link, if you want to see:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/USAF-PATCH-AIR-FORCE-1-SPECIAL-OPERATIONS-SQ-GOOSE-55/293382248654?hash=item444ef1d8ce:g:gCYAAOSwx1Rd-X8M

donation2018.gif

OK . . . looking some more, would Goose 55 be a crew of a plane? I'm seeing other 1 Special Operations Squadron crew patches for Goose numbers. There is sometimes a similar little design with the number over it. Can't see anything for Goose 55, though. Anyone know more about this?

donation2018.gif

Oh, dear . . . I saw Bill was looking at this thread and when he doesn't know about a patch! Aaarrrrgggghhhh! At least this is something fun to do on a super rainy, dark, dreary Saturday!

donation2018.gif

OK . . . looking some more, would Goose 55 be a crew of a plane? I'm seeing other 1 Special Operations Squadron crew patches for Goose numbers. There is sometimes a similar little design with the number over it. Can't see anything for Goose 55, though. Anyone know more about this?

Nice detective work! I think you've cracked the case.

When I first saw the post/patch I noticed the AFSOC seal and what looks like an S-55 crew designation. I thought to myself "...could be a 1 SOS crew patch..." With all of your detective work I think I can say, it is, in fact, a 1 SOS crew patch.

Here's some ground truth background:

The 1st Special Operations Squadron organizes its crew force into approximately 5 dedicated crews. A current MC-130H crew is made up of 7 aviators. The aircraft commander is the senior pilot on the crew and is in charge of the other 6 aviators. In keeping with squadron tradition going back to Viet Nam - where the 1 SOS adopted the permanent static call sign of "GOOSE" - the aircraft commander is assigned a crew number ranging from 1 to 99 (in sequence). For example, Captain Jones (not a real name) has established themselves as a capable and skilled aircraft commander and they are assigned a "hard crew". Captain Jones - earns - the next crew designator, for example, GOOSE 55. In keeping with 1st SOS tradition, Captain Jones designs a crew patch that to some measure reflects the crew's personality...or winks at an inside joke..., has patches made, and provides them to their crew. The patch is v-e-r-y much unofficial and is not worn at home station, however, out on the road the patch is worn with great pride (usually).

Here are some examples of 1 SOS crew patches from the late 1980s:

post-288817-0-95533800-1585413237.jpg

Note that S-77 (off station call sign - GOOSE 77) gives a nod to a bible verse while S-85 (off station call sign - GOOSE 85) calls for "Anarchy NOW". The crew names also also engage in a bit of word play based on the names of the aircraft commander. "Hale's Angels" and the "Bat Crew" have roots in the aircraft commanders last names.

Sooooo...enough history, grandpa....back to the original patch:

1) Looks a WHOLE lot like a 1 SOS crew patch - S-55 - GOOSE 55

2) Excellent detective work on stratasfan's part

3) There is likely an inside story as to why the AFSOC seal AND the Army Aviation SOF seal are on the same patch (an op together?, one crewmember is former Army Air SOF?, etc)

4) The patch is very unofficial, you will likely NOT find any detailing of its history or heraldry

Thanks for listening if you made it this far!

WOW! Super! Glad all the pieces I found were something you knew how to put together! How super fun! So . . . pegase001 . . . do you collect crew patches like this or was this something that you just got along the way? Guess this is a hard-to-find item! -grin-

donation2018.gif

Hi

I buy US patch " of the blow of heart " - " coup de coeur in french " - I buy this one last year because I find it really nice but I didn't identify it

regards, hughes

I'm looking for items about US Tank Destroyer, Belgium Congo and Mercenaries in Katanga

• 4 months later...

I'll throw a curve into this, the 711th SOS out of Duke Field, Florida flew the MC-130E Combat Talon I and their call sign was Goose. The MC-130E was a part of the Stray Goose Project, and where the Goose call sign originated. 

I don't know if the Goose call sign carried over to the MC-130H Comabt Talon II or to other AFSOC units or not. 

unnamed.jpg

20200809_234325.jpg

20200809_235139.jpg

Mike in Florida
TSgt, USAF Retired (1986-2008)
Aircrew Life Support

(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
"Your Life Is Our Business"

Oh and the 1st SOS used the call sign Stray, again coming from the Stray Goose project. I honestly don't know if the Goose and Stray call signs carried over to later Special Operations MC-130s or not. 

Another thing is the emblem behind the 55 would be a backwards S, which is weird, and I don't see it being a G either, so I'm at a loss on this.

Oh and on the previous post the 711th SOS decal was on my Jeep. I had to take a picture of it before I turned it over to the insurance company.

I was with Talon I units 3 times.

7th SOS, 39th SOW Jul 88-Jul 92

711th SOS, 919th SOW Jan 96-May 00

711th SOS, 919th SOW Feb 01-Sep 08

Mike in Florida
Aircrew Life Support

(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)

So in my opinion it's not a crew patch, morale patch or a TDY patch. With it having the AFSOC and ARSOAC emblems it might be a Joint Exercise commemorative patch or just a commemorative patch of sorts. I just can't figure out the significance of the 55 and what the emblem behind the 55 is or represents.

Mike in Florida
Aircrew Life Support

(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)