Kenneth E Lavier, USMC - 1943-2020

Bill_Carman

Bill_Carman

Another Marine passed from the ranks of the Corps. Kenneth Earl Lavier slipped away in the early morning hours of 19 March 2020 at the Washington Veteran’s Home-Retsil, Port Orchard, Washington. Ken was 76 years of age.

Born in Idaho and raised in Seattle, Washington Ken attended and graduated Roosevelt High School. Ken enlisted in the Marine Corps, it was 1965, after Boot Camp Ken was shipped to Vietnam; serving with 1st Battalion 9th Marines as a Force Recon Scout Sniper. When Ken returned home it was with a Purple Heart Medal, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Vietnam Service Medal and having a profound endearment for the Corps in his heart. Ken kept his connection with the Marine Corps, serving as president of the Marine Corps League in Tacoma, Washington. He also worked with Point Man Ministries for a period, during which he made a cross country journey to visit the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C.

Like so many other brothers in arms, life was difficult for Ken. He had difficulty settling down and focusing, working multiple jobs for over many years. In 1986 Ken met Loraine, they were loving partners for 34 years residing in Port Orchard, Washington. Ken was a caring step father for one of my best friends, Beth, also a Marine, that is probably what connected them. Ken also became the loving granddad for her two wonderful kids Michael and Gabby. Ken had a big and giving heart for all.

Ken was an avid outdoorsman, he loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing and nature overall. He wore Michael’s your rump out trekking over Fort Lewis hunting pheasants or tossing him in a canoe and drifting down stream fishing.

Gabby was a jewel in the eyes of Ken, the plan was: he was going to give her away at her wedding, but that was not to be.

Ken suffered many of the physical afflictions suffered by Vietnam Veterans. Ken fought demons and disease, but the wire was beached and Ken fell. He had Loraine and others beside him at the end, and when it comes down to it that is all that matters…loved ones and family.

In the early morning hours of 19 March 2020, TAPS sounded for Kenneth Earl Lavier. My best friend mom’s said farewell to her partner, my best friend’s kids said goodbye to their ‘PaPa’, and my best friend said “Semper Fi” to her stepdad. The world is a little less ‘good’ now that Ken is gone, but we will carry on.

post-140407-0-71726800-1585266771.jpg

post-140407-0-77957700-1585266780_thumb.jpg

post-140407-0-47735900-1585266790.jpg

aerialbridge

Then God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, and no more mourning, and no more crying, and no more pain, for the old order of things will pass away. Revelation 21:4

River Patrol

I'm sorry for your loss....Rest in Peace Sir!

That photo of him in Vietnam with the sniper rifle is an amazing photo and iconic to the time.