Exploring the Machine Gun Nest of "The Beast of Omaha"

james127

Awhile back, I came across the story of a German soldier nicknamed "The Beast of Omaha". When we went to Omaha Beach, I had to go to the spot where this man claims to have singlehandedly inflicted upwards of 2000 U.S. casualties on D-Day. Interested in everyone's take on this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP09rRnaS9A&t=9s

Nice, quality video. Thanks for sharing it.

I can’t imagine that number to be accurate. I’m sure the kraut did his damage that day though.

Horrific.

The Rooster

The thing that bothers me about the story, is that if a man actually was single handedly responsible for slaughtering 2000 human beings, in a matter of hours....

Would he go around claiming he did it? Would he boast about it? Was there only one machine gunner in the German Army covering all of Omaha beach? Is Omaha beach a real small area?

Also, isnt the death toll for D day around 9000 or more Men? Pushing 10000.

If a single machine gun emplacement was doing that much damage..... wouldnt someone call for fire on his hole?

Wouldnt someone crawl within grenade range while the "Beast" Was changing barrels? Reloading.

One man was responsible for all the KIA on Omaha Beach ? There were no other german soldiers in the area? No Mortars Artillery in the area ?? etc etc just the beast?

2,000 U.S. troops
The highest casualties occurred on Omaha beach, where 2,000 U.S. troops were killed, wounded or went missing; at Sword Beach and Gold Beach, where 2,000 British troops were killed, wounded or went missing; and at Juno beach, where 340 Canadian soldiers were killed and another 574 wounded.Jun 3, 2019 off google.
And thats 2000 US troops killed missing and wounded. Not 2000 killed.

So The " Beast " Was responsible for killing them all? He had the time? Everyone just sat there while he reloaded? No body fired Back?

So as not to be censored.... Il put it like this.

The story of the "beast smells like what comes out of the back end of a Bull.

My opinion. Cant prove it but it doesnt sound likely.

Thank you James.Once again a great video !

Nice, quality video. Thanks for sharing it.

I can’t imagine that number to be accurate. I’m sure the kraut did his damage that day though.

Horrific.

Yeah, it seems pretty high. When you look at where he was positioned though, there's no doubt that he must have done some damage.

Enjoying all of it..! :)

Thanks! Appreciate that.

The thing that bothers me about the story, is that if a man actually was single handedly responsible for slaughtering 2000 human beings, in a matter of hours....

Would he go around claiming he did it? Would he boast about it? Was there only one machine gunner in the German Army covering all of Omaha beach? Is Omaha beach a real small area?

Also, isnt the death toll for D day around 9000 or more Men? Pushing 10000.

If a single machine gun emplacement was doing that much damage..... wouldnt someone call for fire on his hole?

Wouldnt someone crawl within grenade range while the "Beast" Was changing barrels? Reloading.

One man was responsible for all the KIA on Omaha Beach ? There were no other german soldiers in the area? No Mortars Artillery in the area ?? etc etc just the beast?

2,000 U.S. troops
The highest casualties occurred on Omaha beach, where 2,000 U.S. troops were killed, wounded or went missing; at Sword Beach and Gold Beach, where 2,000 British troops were killed, wounded or went missing; and at Juno beach, where 340 Canadian soldiers were killed and another 574 wounded.Jun 3, 2019 off google.
And thats 2000 US troops killed missing and wounded. Not 2000 killed.

So The " Beast " Was responsible for killing them all? He had the time? Everyone just sat there while he reloaded? No body fired Back?

So as not to be censored.... Il put it like this.

The story of the "beast smells like what comes out of the back end of a Bull.

My opinion. Cant prove it but it doesnt sound likely.

Thank you James.Once again a great video !

In his book, he says that there was someone there with him reloading and that they were changing out the barrels. He also says that he was using a K98. Like I said in the video, that was a crazy day and I think that he must have thought that he shot way more soldiers than he actually did. Thanks for the kind words!

Another great Normandy video and story though controversial. Thank you for posting. Bob

Thanks! Appreciate that. I thought it might make for interesting discussion.

I remember reading an analysis on this, not that long ago. As I recall, he basically had guys around him keeping him in ammo and barrels. I will try and find it (no promises), and I do recall the number being disputed.

Some information in the Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Severloh

Yes, that is accurate. And in his book, he doesn't actually claim to have inflicted a certain number of casualties. That came in a later interview. Doesn't add up though.

Old Crow 1986

Believe the collective analysis here to be spot on:

1) Severloh's fighting position was optimal

2) With help (barrel changing, ammunition runners) Severloh likely rained death on the the landing force

3) Severloh is VERY likely responsible for dozens if not hundreds of American KIAs

4) The 2,000 causality claim is NOT supported by the validated causality numbers (see graphic below for numbers and sources)

5) Severloh was LIKELY not telling a conscious lie, that is, in the fog and friction of that morning he fired his weapon, he saw men go down, he saw men stay down. He likely believed he killed 2000 men - he is obviously mistaken, but he isn't lying. This is one war story that - while embellished - isn't an outright fabrication.

post-288817-0-68012700-1585340818_thumb.jpg

James - Enjoyed the heck out of the video. Very informative and I appreciate the effort. Please keep them coming!

Believe the collective analysis here to be spot on:

1) Severloh's fighting position was optimal

2) With help (barrel changing, ammunition runners) Severloh likely rained death on the the landing force

3) Severloh is VERY likely responsible for dozens if not hundreds of American KIAs

4) The 2,000 causality claim is NOT supported by the validated causality numbers (see graphic below for numbers and sources)

5) Severloh was LIKELY not telling a conscious lie, that is, in the fog and friction of that morning he fired his weapon, he saw men go down, he saw men stay down. He likely believed he killed 2000 men - he is obviously mistaken, but he isn't lying. This is one war story that - while embellished - isn't an outright fabrication.

attachicon.gifD-Day In Numbers 140605.jpg

James - Enjoyed the heck out of the video. Very informative and I appreciate the effort. Please keep them coming!

Thanks! Appreciate that. And appreciate the input as well.