Sign in to follow this  
Basic Rifleman

Photos of POW's or an Internment Camp playing baseball? Propaganda Pics?

I picked these up from a local antique store, and the more I looked at them the more I knew I don't know what they are... I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on if these are from a WWII POW Camp or stateside Internment Camp. I've searched the internet and this forum and can't find anything like them. My best guess was these were to be used as propaganda to show the Japanese how well we were taking care of their POW's. I was particularly interested in the baseball pictures, and was hoping someone could help translate things on the flag or signs - also the fella crouching is holding a sign, but it appears illegible because on the glare/light but it is clear enough to see the writing are Japanese Characters and not English. Any help - even speculation would be most appreciated. Also, not sure if it matters, but they are on heavier photo paper and are silver gelatin.

post-161305-0-28344800-1585258971.jpg

donation2018.gif

I think you have a mix of time periods in these photos.

The truck looks well after WWII, as does the room with the world map.

Your photo of the team looks to have military headgear, and barbed wire in the background. This might be a POW enclosure.

In that photo, there is a sign above their heads. Can you read it? Or post an enlargement of it?

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Most likely POWs.

AJAs were Americans first, so the flag in photo 2 would have had English lettering. The uniforms are in English, most likely hand-me-downs. In photo 4, the two men in the back row on the left are clearly wearing Japanese Army caps. The men are definitely military age; if they were AJAs in an internment camp, you would expect them to be kids, too young for service.

In photo 3, the serviceman is wearing a beret as well as UK type cpl chevrons and a formation sign (patch).

Am sure there are others with corroborative or opposing opinions. Perhaps one of our members can read theflag I referred to earlier.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

I think you have a mix of time periods in these photos.

The truck looks well after WWII, as does the room with the world map.

Your photo of the team looks to have military headgear, and barbed wire in the background. This might be a POW enclosure.

In that photo, there is a sign above their heads. Can you read it? Or post an enlargement of it?

Thank you so much for your response! There is indeed barbed wire surrounding the area the picture was taken, and on the other side of the fence there are wooden "crates" I've seen in the transport of POW's in other photos. The sign above their head reads "All Unauthorized Vehicles Keep Out" with characters beneath it I assume says the same thing in Japanese.

donation2018.gif

Most likely POWs.

AJAs were Americans first, so the flag in photo 2 would have had English lettering. The uniforms are in English, most likely hand-me-downs. In photo 4, the two men in the back row on the left are clearly wearing Japanese Army caps. The men are definitely military age; if they were AJAs in an internment camp, you would expect them to be kids, too young for service.

Great point with regard to the Japanese Army caps. I hadn't noticed that... And the hand-me-down uniforms might lend further to the theory these may have been taken as propaganda pics...

donation2018.gif

I have to go with internment camp and the one with the world map seems out of place in reference to the others since the uniform does not seem to be American.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The map on the wall is JAPAN, turned on its side.

Better picture of the truck?

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

The map on the wall is JAPAN, turned on its side.

Better picture of the truck?

You are correct on the map.

After enlarging the photo, that looks like the lobby of a nice hotel, very likely in Japan. The uniform looks UK or Commonwealth. The soldier looks to be wearing an armband possibly with Japanese characters. This probably dates back to the Occupation period.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif