A Mark II Grenade on Iwo Jima

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Today is the 75th anniversary of the last ditch Japanese Banzai attack on Iwo Jima, which occurred on March 26, 1945. About 300 Japanese from various units were banded together for the nighttime attack which struck the 21st Fighter Group area near the beach. All of the Japanese were killed but not before they inflicted some casualties on the airmen who were their targets.

Following the attack Lt. Joseph Goons was pictured with battlefield pickups. The caption to this photo reads: "Lt. Joseph D. Goons, 1295 Rademacker Street, Detroit, Michigan, is holding two hand grenades picked up after Japanese banzai raid on Iwo Jima, Bonin Islands. The one in his left hand is of Japanese make and the other is American."

Lt Joe D Goons USAAF on Iwo Jima after Banzai attack.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

That is the highest resolution of the image I have. I pulled it off of the 7th Fighter Command website. You might take a look there to see if a higher resolution is available. https://www.7thfighter.com/

Charlie

The Rooster

Thats dedication. The ones on Peleilu... Man thats something!

I had heard or read somewhere about an attack on okinawa or Iwo in 1946 that a group of japanese emergegedfrombunkers and attacked an airfield in 1946 I tried to find it and post but I cant find it and its not on the list but there could be others not on this list. ?

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2020 at 11:48 PM, rooster77 said:

Thats dedication. The ones on Peleilu... Man thats something!

I had heard or read somewhere about an attack on okinawa or Iwo in 1946 that a group of japanese emergegedfrombunkers and attacked an airfield in 1946 I tried to find it and post but I cant find it and its not on the list but there could be others not on this list. ?

There a Japanese officer named  Hiroo Onada that finally surrendered in 1974.

There was another named Nakamura who also was found in 1974 and consiered the longest hold out to be found.