Asiatic Fleet Greeting Card Collection

Dirk

Over time I have been gathering these up as I see them. Looks like this was a popular souvenir to send home to families at Christmas. I will assume most were done in China and Japan, but I can't discount Japanese photographers working in China at the time. From the ship's encountered, most range between 1900 and 1913. Since they are cabinet sized photos, I'll guess the style fell out of favor as studios transitioned to other photographic finishing processes. Most concentrate on a single ship, but have seen multi-ship cards as shown below in the thread, that could be changed as new ships arrived, and others departed stateside. This collage style of print was popular in Asia at the time and used also for other cards of a non-military nature. Enjoy....additions of other ships to this thread is most welcomed.

IMG_8589.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

The card showing the USS Albany was sent by a Marine, Pvt Joy, who included a poem on the back of it to a loved one.

IMG_8594.jpg

IMG_8598.jpg

Last one in the series....these were taken as expected in ports like Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Chefoo. Sometimes the studio is identified, sometimes not.....attention to spelling was not considered an important detail as several cards show.

IMG_8596.jpg