Navy Seabee Footlocker Find

Mr.B

Hi Everyone,

I recently came across a awesome footlocker with ww2 navy seabees grouping I picked up at a local antique mall. I know ww2 navy isn't really something that a lot of collectors collcect but I couldn't pass this grouping up. I am having problems posting but a friend helped me post the pics in the test section so here is the link

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry256568

Let me know what you guys think thumbsup.gif

Thanks

Scott

Very nice. I have a canteen that has been etched with name, dates, place by a seabee. I guess he was issued a new canteen in 45 and he just kept it as a souvenir. It is very clean, without the etching it would be nearly unissued.

Does anyone on the forum collect Seabee items?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great replies. I was kind of leary of posting this because I figured it prouably wasn't going to get any reactions or it would just be looked over but I am very happy. In the bottom of the trunk their are a lot of things also that I didn't picture just like a navy deck jacket and a few other things. I figured it was just common stuff so I didn't post it.

All comments on this are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scott

TrenchRaider1918

Scott, great find! What a unique grouping from a special navy outfit, and with much provenance to back it up. That's how to collect my friend! thumbsup.gif

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

Congrats, great find. I love Seabee stuff. I found a great mechanical blueprint map of Iwo Jima once that was in some Seabee stuff. thumbsup.gif

Croix de Guerre

I already posted a comment with your photos but I wanted to say again that this is a very cool score and I'm glad you got it and it didn't get broken up by a dealer. Now you have a research project and I hope you come back and tell us more about you man!

thumbsup.gif

post-3356-1231693265.jpg

He appears to be Gilbert Clifford Drucks who was an electrician before and after the war. He died in 1995.

Forgot to mention that his family's Drucks Electrical was in Oshkosh.

Seabee stuff is the best. I could go on and on but don't want to hijack this thread. That is an awesome footlocker though. Now ya need a Mk I and some "deuce" gear to round 'er out!! HOORAHHH SEABEES!!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the great responses on this. I am very very happy with all of these responses. Actually when I went to purchase this grouping it was kind of broke up but not to bad. I had to buy the navy top whites with the patches on them otherwise than that it wasn't broke up. I am still kind of curious about the Navy dress blues because those are not with the footlocker. I am just figuring they prouably got broke up somewhere along the line which kind of makes me sad but I am still glad that I could retain this grouping and save what I could.

Would anyone have any questions if I went on ebay and see if I could dig out a ww2 navy dress blues. I don't think it would hurt anything to add it but then it might not be original to the trunk.

Let me know

THanks

scott

I have found out some info on this man after the war he ran a business in the city where I live and died in 1995. I am hoping to reasearch him and let everyone know what i find.

THanks

scott

One of my best friend's dad was a Seabee and he had a ton of great Japanese items as I recall that we used to play with. It's amazing to think now that these items, made in Japan, carried and lost by Japanese soldiers in the Pacific wound up in the hands and on the heads of little kids in New England. And of course the most famous Seabee of them all - Ward Cleaver

post-3625-1231729220.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Just a update to this grouping I talked to the mans sons and they had a lot of info they might give me on him. THey were glad the footlocker stayed here in the valley where I live and didnt go off till some other state. So I will keep everyone informed on what comes out of this

Thanks

Scott