Post War 3rd Mod. Fairbairn Sykes Chromed Anyone know why?

Capt.Case

I have this post war import 3rd Model Fairbairn Sykes which looks to be chrome plated overall. It is marked " England " with the broad arrow on the guard on one side and opposite it the number 4 is also on the guard. The alloy handle is also marked with a "4" near the guard and what looks like a "V" on the opposite side of the handle near guard. Any thoughts? Thank You,

post-289680-0-51294500-1585179573.jpg

post-289680-0-18624800-1585179618.jpg

post-289680-0-16168300-1585179633.jpg

post-289680-0-37859800-1585179661.jpg

post-289680-0-89883000-1585179680.jpg

post-289680-0-28405200-1585179703.jpg

post-289680-0-86131000-1585179727.jpg

My only thought is that I like it. I think chrome plating militaria after WW2 was not uncommon. I saw a Luger pistol once that was (sadly) chrome plated.

That is a good question, I am not actually sure how to tell Post War from Wartime period on a 3rd Model. I have seen the 1, 2, 3, and 4 mold number on some but they have always been on the pommel end. This one is near the guard.

It's a WW2 Fairbairn Sykes.What I know is ,that all these Fairbairn knives, stamped "England" on the crossguard were sold after ww2 (ca.very early 1950's) in the US.

I could read somewhere they were stamped "England" due to US regulations of foreign weapons after WW2.

Frank Trzaska

A country-of-origin stamp is required on all knives imported into U.S. after the 1890 Tariff Act. It still is. Today they also use decals and stencils that come right off but it meets the requirements.

Around 1950 350,000 FS knives were sold by the UK government to various US surplus companies. They were sold for years for just a few bucks, $2.95 to $4.95. 1st, 2nd and 3rd models, beaded and roped were included with the sales and can all be found stamped ENGLAND.

A country-of-origin stamp is required on all knives imported into U.S. after the 1890 Tariff Act. It still is. Today they also use decals and stencils that come right off but it meets the requirements.

Around 1950 350,000 FS knives were sold by the UK government to various US surplus companies. They were sold for years for just a few bucks, $2.95 to $4.95. 1st, 2nd and 3rd models, beaded and roped were included with the sales and can all be found stamped ENGLAND.

A quick question, if the sheath and knife are not marked ENGLAND is it most likely they are bring backs and not imports?

Frank Trzaska

A quick question, if the sheath and knife are not marked ENGLAND is it most likely they are bring backs and not imports?

Yes that is the often used theory. Legal importation would be marked and a non ENGLAND stamped piece would have been brought back to home by a soldier.

Hey Brockport is right in my neighborhood. Now you just have to figure out why the knife is chrome plated. I still think it was just to doll up a souvenir.

Cold out there. I agree probably was for presentation or souvenir. I still wonder what the "4" is for?

militariaone

I still wonder what the "4" is for?

According to page 118 in Ron Flook's Book available here https://www.knifemagazine.com/product/the-fairbairn-sykes-fighting-knife-and-other-commando-knives-by-ron-flook/ the mould number "4" indicates a handle produced by the subcontractor Wolverhampton Die Casting Company Limited. According to Flook, that company was born in 1919 and went out of business in the 1990s.

Best,

V/r Lance

militariaone

Would you kindly tell me what maker produced handles marked "2". Thanks.

According to Flook's aforementioned book, mould numbers 1,2, & 3 have not been directly/conclusively tied to the other (three) subcontracted manufactures' names who cast them.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thank you Lance , any idea about the "V" stamp? Also do you think is was chromed for any special reason or just somebody wanted to do it because they thought it looked good? Thank You, Rocco

militariaone

Any idea about the "V" stamp? Also do you think is was chromed for any special reason or just somebody wanted to do it because they thought it looked good?

Greetings Rocco,

Book only mentions a "V" on the crossguard being one of the (many) quality control inspector's marks. However, there was no mention of the "V" being on the handle, as such, I dunno.

Agree with earlier posts. Someone "jazzed" up the knife by plating it. Have viewed WWI US wooden handled knuckle knives and bolos treated similarly by chrome/nickel plaiting so when hung on the wall to support one's service/war stories or presented as gifts; they were less "plain" in appearance.

With the knife's "England" import mark, it was an "affordable" knife when it came in to the USA, so plating it (for whatever purpose) would not be the angst raising sin it would be if done on a pristine example today. Enjoy the knife for what it is.

Best,

V/r Lance

Good evening Lance,

Thank You, very good thoughts, I think your right on. Would have liked to bought a case full of them back when they were first imported!

I'm not in love with the chrome thing , I like to see them original. Price was right though so I grabbed it.

Thanks again for your help, Rocco