Today is the 157th Anniversary of the Medal of Honor

cutiger83

On March 25, 1863, the first medals of honor were awarded and presented to six U.S. Army soldiers, "Andrew's Raiders", by Secretary of War, Edward Stanton. Private Jacob Parrott, a U.S. Army volunteer from Ohio, became the first actual Medal of Honor recipient.

Please do not turn this thread political and start arguments about the Medal of Honor. I just thought it was interesting that today is the anniversary.

...Kat

Very cool, thanks for posting this Kat. I had no idea that it was the anniversary. Stay safe!

Thanks! You stay safe too!

General Apathy

On March 25, 1863, the first medals of honor were awarded and presented to six U.S. Army soldiers, "Andrew's Raiders", by Secretary of War, Edward Stanton. Private Jacob Parrott, a U.S. Army volunteer from Ohio, became the first actual Medal of Honor recipient.

Please do not turn this thread political and start arguments about the Medal of Honor. I just thought it was interesting that today is the anniversary.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for bringing this to our attention, if you don't mind I would like to add the name of Ernest Childers ( MoH ) a Medal of Honour winner Italy WWII, it was a great pleasure and honour to have known him.

thanks lewis.

.post-344-0-70715400-1585150521_thumb.jpg

Hi Kat, thanks for bringing this to our attention, if you don't mind I would like to add the name of Ernest Childers ( MoH ) a Medal of Honour winner Italy WWII, it was a great pleasure and honour to have known him.

thanks lewis.

.attachicon.gif image-11-2.jpg

Lewis,

Thanks so much for adding your pictures. That is wonderful that you got to meet him!

...Kat

BILL THE PATCH

Happy birthday MOH, if it's ok I would like to add this, it seems appropriate. I've met everyone that signed my book, if only for a brief moment. It was 1998 my wife had just given birth to my second daughter. That same day the MOH convention happened to be in the same city, Saratoga springs NY. I kissed the baby, told the Miss's don't go anywhere I'll be back soon. I stood in crowd as the guys were marching past in the parade. Everyone I asked to sign did so without hesitation. Melvin Biddle (517th pir), signed it twice. I promised my daughter this is hers when I go, seeing I left her in the hospital. She's understands. I'm sure some of you recognize the names. These guys were having a blast, most of them walking with drinks, it was great to see still living it up. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Happy birthday MOH, if it's ok I would like to add this, it seems appropriate. I've met everyone that signed my book, if only for a brief moment. It was 1998 my wife had just given birth to my second daughter. That same day the MOH convention happened to be in the same city, Saratoga springs NY. I kissed the baby, told the Miss's don't go anywhere I'll be back soon. I stood in crowd as the guys were marching past in the parade. Everyone I asked to sign did so without hesitation. Melvin Biddle (517th pir), signed it twice. I promised my daughter this is hers when I go, seeing I left her in the hospital. She's understands. I'm sure some of you recognize the names. These guys were having a blast, most of them walking with drinks, it was great to see still living it up.

Very cool! Thanks for adding to this thread!

...Kat

Thanks for posting. The Andrew Raider’s story is very interesting for anyone who has not read about it before. Pvt Parrot being a member.

Very nice! Where did you find this picture?

...Kat

I've had that photo for a long time. Where it originated I do not know. Another member here has claimed credit for getting a screen shot off of a cable TV program so that confirms its been available for a good number of years. I also have a photo of Parrott's medal in its case but I've had that one for a long time, too, and, unfortunately, do not remember the source. I had wanted to post that photo also, but the file was too large and I didn't feel like taking the time to reduce the size.

There are several GLC medals that are in the public. I believe Pittinger's 1904 is and one of the Knight's. Another one was at the GLC museum in Georgia.

Another comment unrelated to this particular topic: In the earlier photo of Childers receiving his MoH you can clearly see that that medal's reverse is unengraved, confirming that at overseas presentation ceremonies recipients received unengraved medals. Just like when Westmoreland or other dignitaries would pass out PHs on hospital ships during the VN war they were all unengraved. I know some recipients who didn't know the medal could later be engraved, either privately or be sending it in to a designated location.

BILL THE PATCH

Another photo, I have to add good ole Audie Murphy. One of the very first books I ever read, To Hell And BackPosted Image

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

General Apathy

Lewis,

Thanks so much for adding your pictures. That is wonderful that you got to meet Ernest Childers MoH!

...Kat

Hi Kat, thank you very much for letting me contribute to your thread, in 1989 Ernest Childers invited me to spend the weekend at the MoH convention in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I spent three days in the hotel with approximately 150 MoH winners and families. During the weekend I managed to get 72 Medal of Honor men to sign my book next to their details, here's the signature of John Finn 1st Medal of Honor winner WWII.

great thread pleased to see the other contributions, lewis.

.post-344-0-96394500-1585522615_thumb.jpeg