Is this a USAF Vietnam squadron? Cool Snowmobile Competition Patches

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I vaguely remember seeing an ID to this at one time but can't remember.

Came with some other Vietnam era items.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

afp.jpg

vintageproductions

I see that but there are a few patches in Vietnam that have that copyright, like the US made version of the 12st HOOKS helo patch.

Firefighter on Facebook pointed out that the same cat and chicken were used on a Jolly Green Giant patch.

vintageproductions

These were posted on one of the VN insignia pages on Facebook by NTS.

90564167_1356858354505773_7845144296020770816_n.jpg

90925852_1356861767838765_5213116194466299904_n.jpg

Pretty sure these are all vintage snowmobile patches. I have investigated these before and there are a plethora of patches like this that were popular among snowmobilers in the 1960's and 1970's. Rider's snowsuits would be covered in patches promoting their brand loyalty. During that time there were several companies that each had fierce and loyal followers to their brands and often advertised using their mascot characters crushing the competitors' mascot. If you conduct an internet search for vintage snowmobile patches or vintage snowmobile advertising you will find a lot of these of variations of these designs. Among the primary brands at the time and there associated mascots:

Arctic Cat-fierce looking cat, often times in shades of purple and black or paw prints, or portrayed as Sylvester the cat by the competition

John Deere-Jolly Green Giant, often chocking the other characters

Ski Doo-Eagle (many of their models were yellow including the Screaming Eagle. Competitors patches often portray the eagle as more of a canary or Tweety Bird figure)

Polaris- models had a large blue star logo

s-l300.jpg

819aYzaFI%2BL.jpg

51zb6sw8g3L._SX443_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have tried to add a few more images of similar patches but I keep receiving an error message stating:

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Here is a link I saved to some vintage Arctic Cat brand patches just for reference, as well as several subsections https://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/patches/acprotoptch.htm

I have seen this patch sold in the past as an Air Force squadron patch, but I am pretty sure it is an Arctic Cat brand patch (toying with the competition-in this case a Ski-Doo product)

post-2744-0-06584500-1585183957.jpg

All these are as Siamundo stated, snowmobile related. I think I answered a similar question on this somewhere here before. Just about all the ones shown above, including the Jolly Greens, are not military. here are a few more, only the 37 Cadet Sq. is military related. There seems to be dozens of these out there.

Randy

post-8832-0-16154200-1585276102_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Randy, for adding to the discussion. It sounds like you have looked into these types of patches before as well.

Thank you, Randy, for adding to the discussion. It sounds like you have looked into these types of patches before as well.

I have, as I got one in an AF grouping and my first thought was "not military". But it took a few years to truly track it down even though I'm from snowmobile country originally. There seems to be a few dozen variations of these, so I don't know why it took so long to figure out, but it did! Yes Bob, there are some neat designs. Makes snowmobilers look like a violent group though... :lol:

Randy

firefighter

WoW!

Very interesting. Another mystery put to rest, like the 4 Roses patch

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk