Sampson Phase III USS New York

jmpmstr

Mustang.CDR

Here is a Sampson group to Jenner Fast USS Yankee. I have no idea what Phase this medal would be.

This is an outstanding group! As I also collect New York Naval Militia this is really special to me. The Yankee Sampson should be a Phase II.

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Originally, the Sampson Medal was issued to a limited number of ships who participated in a limited amount of actions from May to August 1898; the basic engagement was indicated on the back of the medal. They were generally simple medals with a top ship bar however some had extra bars, indicating multiple actions, hung by links from the ship's bar. Those are what are now called the "Phase I" medals because other ships which were in the area subsequently asked that their service be recognized. From that request the list of ships (and actions) was expanded; those are now known as "Phase II" issues. A third round occurred when Phase I awardees asked that those actions of Phase II be recognized. That request resulted in the addition of the extra bars and those are what is currently called "Phase III" Sampsons. .

Jim T.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards

Herman

You are welcome, i'm always glad to be of some help.

The saga of these commemoratives is, for sure, one of the most convoluted, yet interesting, of all US medals. The best reference about them is The West Indies Naval Campaign: The Sampson Medal, The Ships And The Men, by Weaver, Gleim and Farek. Copies of this publication periodically come up on eBay.

In my opinion the US government went top shelf in the specification of this one. They were issued in cases of a steel frame covered in leather lined in purple velvet. The designer even made provision for a fitted well for the planchet so it would not shift around. The equivalent today would probably exceed the production cost of the entire medal.

My photography skills are sorely lacking but you'll get the idea from the attached photo. I've been meaning to weigh one but when you heft it, you appreciate the effort put forth to honor these men.

Jim T

post-152102-0-80776700-1586024217_thumb.jpg