Sampson Phase III USS New York

jmpmstr

Finally got to putting away my containers from SOS. Recalling a good conversation at the show about focusing my Sampsons I took them out and had forgotten about this guy in a separate drawer. Impressed to Stephen J. Ahern, LDS.

A little background...New York departed Fort Monroe on 17 January 1898 for Key West. After the declaration of the SpanishAmerican War in April, she steamed to Cuba and bombarded the defenses at Matanzas before joining other American ships at San Juan in May, seeking the Spanish squadron. Not finding them, they bombarded Castillo San Felipe del Morro at San Juan (12 May) before withdrawing. New York then became flagship of Admiral William T. Sampson's squadron, as the American commander planned the campaign against Santiago. However, New York was taking Admiral Sampson to a meeting with Major General William Shafter when the Spanish fleet made its breakout attempt, some of her engines were disconnected which reduced her speed, and she was only able to participate in the closing phases of the battle.The Battle of Santiago de Cuba on 3 July resulted in complete destruction of the Spanish fleet.

An interesting, I think, 6 bar phase 3. The aesthetics of Sampsons is appealing to me but the multiple bar phase 3 medals are particularly attractive; maybe the appearance similar to British campaign medals gives a certain regality you them. I invite your opinion, comment and/or thoughts.

post-114-0-94327200-1585074300.jpeg

post-114-0-41661000-1585074319.jpeg

post-114-0-05228600-1585074337.jpeg

Brian Dentino

Wow, A, that is a splendid medal. Love these old Sampson's especially when they are "wearing" a lot of bars. That is a real beauty for sure. Congrats on the pick up and thanks for sharing it here with us!

aerialbridge

Thank you all for your kind input. These are my favorites

Sal, do you prefer Sampsons to Deweys?

aerialbridge

Theyre tied but Im narrowing Sampsons to phase 1 and 2 right now then maybe only phase 1 in the future.

The only USS New York Sampson I have is a Phase 1, all original, in a NY father and son group that I posted here before. I've wondered why he never sent his medal back for Phase III to add all the bars, since he served into the 1920s. He also never changed the original first type gold and red ribbon on the Span Am. to the gold and blue ribbon that replaced it in 1913.

post-18406-0-37248800-1585422147_thumb.jpg

Yes sadly weve had some tragic events generating high medical bills and done upcoming surgeries so Ill be moving the Phase 3 and possibly the Phase 2 items but I also am trying to narrow the focus, there are just too many to try to capture them all. Trying to stop the hoarding so to speak.

Yours is gorgeous, groupings are where I want to move into as well. So if theres a Ph 3 in the group Ill of course keep that.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a phase 1, phase 2 and phase 3 Sampson?

I'm confident somebody wrote it down in a topic on this site, but somehow I didn't pick it up.

Thanks and regards

Herman

Javelin4life

Anthony,

Im parroting everyone else when i say that Sampson is a gorgeous piece of history and equally beautifully preserved. My multi-bar Sampson is the exact same construction as yours; Im sure you know this but it looks to be a phase 1 upgraded to phase 3, as per the wire loop catch and the impressed name on the rim. Interestingly enough, your recipient was shipmates with the recipient of mine, a machinist on the New Yorker as well. Thank you for sharing!

Alex

Gerradtgrant

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a phase 1, phase 2 and phase 3 Sampson?

I'm confident somebody wrote it down in a topic on this site, but somehow I didn't pick it up.

Thanks and regards

Herman

+1

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

aerialbridge

This USS New York Good Conduct is dated about 8 months after Dick's posted above, and is definitely a different layout and I believe a different hand. Rundquist and Rosloof most certainly knew each other, being shipmates and fellow New Yorkers. Note that Dick's Good Conduct engraving has an interesting facet, it seems to say "New Yory"

post-18406-0-21448200-1585525752_thumb.jpg

aerialbridge

Chief Gunner's Mate John Rosloof's son SGT James Rosloof, 7th IR, 3rd ID, KIA in the Anzio Breakout on 23 May 1944. They shared an April 6 birthday, 52 years apart. John died the year after his son, 29 December 1945.

post-18406-0-26331900-1585526346_thumb.jpg

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Originally, the Sampson Medal was issued to a limited number of ships who participated in a limited amount of actions from May to August 1898; the basic engagement was indicated on the back of the medal. They were generally simple medals with a top ship bar however some had extra bars, indicating multiple actions, hung by links from the ship's bar. Those are what are now called the "Phase I" medals because other ships which were in the area subsequently asked that their service be recognized. From that request the list of ships (and actions) was expanded; those are now known as "Phase II" issues. A third round occurred when Phase I awardees asked that those actions of Phase II be recognized. That request resulted in the addition of the extra bars and those are what is currently called "Phase III" Sampsons. .

Jim T.

Gerradtgrant

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Originally, the Sampson Medal was issued to a limited number of ships who participated in a limited amount of actions from May to August 1898; the basic engagement was indicated on the back of the medal. They were generally simple medals with a top ship bar however some had extra bars, indicating multiple actions, hung by links  from the ship's bar. Those are what are now called the "Phase I" medals because other ships which were in the area subsequently asked that their service be recognized. From that request the list of  ships (and actions) was expanded; those are now known as  "Phase II" issues. A third round occurred when Phase I awardees asked that those actions of Phase II be recognized. That request resulted in the addition of the extra bars and those are what is currently called "Phase III" Sampsons. . 

Jim T.

Thank you for that clear explanation. Makes more sense now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk