Sign in to follow this  
Vneal487

774th Field Artillery Flag, Group? Brigade? Need Help

I recently purchased this 3' x 4' 774th Field Artillery flag. It's made of rayon with a small square tag worn white (like many used PQMD flags).

Anyway, I can find information about the 774th F A Bn but I can't find ANYTHING on the 774th FAG.

Please help me find the overall unit history of this Field Artillery Group.

Ty.

post-195065-0-71020900-1584853050.jpg

post-195065-0-93813600-1584853065.jpg

Im guessing everyone is as lost as I am on this one.

I can only find information as a 774th Field Artillery battalion up to 1946.

I do not believe that the 774th Field Artillery existed post WWII.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

I did not find the Group listed in Stanton's WW II OOB or the WW 2 Campaign Credit Register. My download of DA Pamphlet 672_3 warned me about malware so I did not look. There is a link to that doc here on the Forum, but it is from 10 years ago. You gamble if you want to.

Is there any chance this is a movie flag?

Post WW 2, the Battalion was activated 2 Dec 46 at Pittsburgh, PA, allotted to the OR, and inactivated 26 Oct 50 at Pittsburgh.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

I got the pamphlet saved, let me look.

EDIT

Nope no 774th Field Artillery Group in either WWII or Korea, ditto for a 774th Antiaircraft Group.

Now, how bout something related to Ordnance, where there Ordnance Groups?

Found it, this may be for the 774th Transportation Group, wasn't a WWII unt. Not sure when it was activated post war, and a predecessor unit must have served in Italy, this page just gives a date for it's DUI, at that time in 1971 I think it was at Fort Bragg North Carolina when it's DI was approved.

http://militaryrailwayservice.blogspot.com/2012/03/791st-transportation-battalion.html

The very early MRS units in WW 2 carried engineer guidons as they were WW1 holdovers from the Corps of Engineers. Later WW 2 MRS units carried TC guidons.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

I must say thank you all for your assistance.

I was looking into Ordnance & train transportation too.

This piece is rayon. Colors do fade & change drastically with these type of flags.

As a group flag would this take the place of a Battle Standard? Or does this act as a Standard for the grouping?

I must say thank you all for your assistance.

I was looking into Ordnance & train transportation too.

This piece is rayon. Colors do fade & change drastically with these type of flags.

As a group flag would this take the place of a Battle Standard? Or does this act as a Standard for the grouping?

These items are properly called Flags, Armies, Corps, Divisions, Brigades (Divisional and Separate) and Groups, these are what were/are called Non Color Bearing Units, meaning they have no Colors, they will have Flags, these Flags will vary in color and design, Armies, Corps, Divisions, Air Forces (In WWII) and Divisional and Separate Brigades will have the unit Shoulder Patch superimposed on it, with a Divisional Brigade having the number of the Brigade on it, as in a 1 for 1st Brigade 1st Cavalry Division in example

Here's examples of Field Artillery Regiment and Engineer Regiment and Battalion Colors.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/337120-307th-engineer-battalion-flag/

An depiction of the WWII Flag for the 8th Air Force.

h156.gif

An example of a late 1940s to late 1950s Infantry Battalion Flag, the 351st Infantry Regiment in Trieste Italy.

post-34986-0-51252000-1438015044.jpg

This piece would definitely date to after WW2, approximately x > or = to 1956. X=year of production.

I have found a lot of reference to the 747th Transportation Group(Railway) right at 1956. Rayon wasnt used/authorized until 1956 with US flags per regulation. It was authorized along with silk per Eisenhowers request for an Army flag.

The colors would be closer to Transportation than any other group type. The red is very close to brick.

I purchased this piece as Artillery thats why I focused on Artillery.

I contacted the original owner and they apologized for the mistake and stated it was transportation.

Thank yall for your help.