Another USMC uniform!

kwc271

Hello all,

I just acquired this dress blue uniform off eBay. It is the type and style worn prior to and including WWII, but there are no stamps inside the sleeves. Could this be a tailor made item? There are no stripes on the sleeves, but when I turned them inside out ( to look for markings) I saw stitching outlines for Sgt stripes (3 stripes). It does have the collar insignia which is a plus. Let me know what you think. I’ll be posting pics, here is the first....

post-4525-0-27299800-1584824558_thumb.jpeg

Here is a pic of the inside pocket right side, there is an identical one on the left as well. No labels inside

post-4525-0-15150300-1584825860_thumb.jpeg

Looks like a nice pre war issue jacket....markings wear off many times. Also some Marines would have modifications done to their jackets...different linings, sleeve work etc....but yours looks fine.

Thank you Dirk. I’ve looked very hard and can’t see any markings. I do know that Marines that wanted dress blues during the war had to have them tailor made as they were not issued.

Brian Dentino

Thank you Dirk. I’ve looked very hard and can’t see any markings. I do know that Marines that wanted dress blues during the war had to have them tailor made as they were not issued.

Exactly the reason a lot of WWII dress blue's are not marked, they were all private purchased so you would not have the typical stamped/named/marked items that were issued. Not uncommon for a set of blues like this at all to be unmarked. Nice jacket pick up. IMO these are some of the nicest looking, and most iconic, uniforms of US Military heritage ever. No reason to question that what you have is a private purchase jacket from WWII era.

Thanks Brian, I’m glad I was able to get it. It is in great shape, no mothing, and the price was definately “right”. I’m planning on putting the sgt stripes back on it to restore it to original configuration. Now I have to find the proper WWII vintage set as well as the dress belt.

Collector .45

Wonderful set of private purchase dress blues. The construction, materials, pattern and even the reinforcement buttons look nearly identical to a set I have belonging to a marine raider. Very nice set of blues. Thanks for posting

- Henry

Thank you all for the compliments and input. I’ll see if it will fit one of my mannequins today and post pics

Brian Dentino

Thanks Brian, I’m glad I was able to get it. It is in great shape, no mothing, and the price was definately “right”. I’m planning on putting the sgt stripes back on it to restore it to original configuration. Now I have to find the proper WWII vintage set as well as the dress belt.

Best of luck on the restoration of this to its former glory. Good luck finding a correct belt for this, they are REALLY tough to find. Probably one of the hardest items for completing these in fact. Heck, it is tough to find the black leather issue belts for Alpha's of this era, but dress belts for the blues......even tougher!

Best of luck on the restoration of this to its former glory. Good luck finding a correct belt for this, they are REALLY tough to find. Probably one of the hardest items for completing these in fact. Heck, it is tough to find the black leather issue belts for Alpha's of this era, but dress belts for the blues......even tougher!

Yeah, I know, the belt is gonna be tough. I wish there was some ID of some kind inside so I could figure out what division this marine was in. I don’t want to just add one, that would be phony. I’ll just settle for putting the sgt stripes back on it and look for a belt. I’ll also look for a pair of WWII period NCO trousers.