Unknown griffin with torch patch: AAF Proving Ground Group

Siamundo

Hoping someone might recognize this. It seems vaguely familiar like I have seen a similar version of an AAF patch on a flight jacket but they may just be my memory playing tricks on me. On black wool about 3.5" high.

post-2744-0-62095900-1584816839_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

It's an AAF Proving Grounds unit, but can't remember number off the top of my head

Oh wow, thank you VP! Great memory on your part. I looked around a little on line and found this image below identified as United States Army Air Forces 1st Proving Ground Group United States Army Air Corps Air Armament Center. From Wikipedia:

"The group was established at Maxwell Field, Alabama in August 1939 as the 23d Composite Group.....The group was also assigned the mission of performing tactical service tests of aircraft and other equipment; developing and testing new air tactics; and demonstrating these new tactics to the service schools of the other branches of the Army, to General Headquarters, and at Air Corps stations. However, because the Tactical School suspended classes in June 1940, because experienced officers were required for the expansion of the Air Corps in response to the war in Europe and could not be spared for a nine-month-long school, the group was only able to support the school for a short time.[6] In September 1940, the group moved to Orlando Army Air Base, Florida, which would become the base for the Army Air Forces School of Applied Tactics.[7]

The group transferred from Orlando for assignment to Eglin Field to conduct flight testing activities in July 1941. At Eglin it was redesignated as the Air Corps Proving Ground Detachment, then the Air Corps Proving Ground Group.[1] On 1 May 1942, the group's three original squadrons were disbanded[3][4][5] as it focused on weapons development rather than tactics.

In 1944, the group conducted "Operation Crossbow" program to determine the best method of attacking German V-1 “buzz bomb” sites along the French and Dutch coasts, February 1944. Began testing the Republic-Ford JB-2, an American version of the German V-1, which became the foundation of the Air Force guided missile program, October 1944.[8]"

"It was last active with the Army Air Forces Proving Ground Command, based at Eglin Field, Florida, where it was disbanded on 1 April 1944. The unit's personnel/equipment/mission was taken over by the 610th Army Air Forces Base Unit (AAF Base Unit) and 611th AAF Base Unit."

imgbin-united-states-army-air-forces-1st

The group was established at Maxwell Field, Alabama in August 1939 as the 23d Composite Group