29th D-Day Vet Grouping

Recently came across an a 175th infantry regiment grouping from a soldier from West Virginia during the war. The son whom I met said hes grown children had no interest in the grandfathers belongings so I told him I would take care of them for him. He landed in Omaha Beach on the early morning of the 7th as he was a reserve for the invasion. He mentioned they still had heavy contact on the oustskirts of the beach with sniper fire and engaged in firefights with the Germans. He was a machine gunner according to his discharge papers and from what the son told me. He also mentioned he was wounded somewhere along the line even though the paper doesnt say so, and met a Red Cross nurse who eventually became his wife after he was discharged in the fall of 1945. In the grouping is a mini pin back CIB, GCM, ruptured duck lapel, a bible given to him in 1942 which he carried with him, a photo scan, the 4-pocket uniform dates 1942, and khaki overseas Cap with infantry piping.

post-177166-0-89166800-1584793786.jpeg

post-177166-0-64000300-1584793802.jpeg

post-177166-0-58285300-1584793827.jpeg

post-177166-0-34047600-1584793843.jpeg

Very nice! I’m a Connecticut guy as well. You can always stop by my place and maybe leave it here :)

Looking to buy US dog tags, any era. Contact me and let me know what you have!

Really nice! Thanks for sharing!!

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

• 1 month later...

My boyscout master was Joe Farinholt, who was a member of the 175th Infantry.  He also went thru the "29th Ranger Training" as many of them were trained by British Commandoes in Scotland.  Later they were de-activated and returned to their units.  Joe landed on 7 June near St Laurent-sur-Mer, "Omaha Beach".  He received his first Silver Star at Isigny.  His 4th and final Silver Star he earned would take him out of combat.  He blew the track off of a Tiger-Tank and ran back to his jeep to get to the CP to warn them.  The machine gunner fired and Joe would spend the next 2 years in a Staunton, Virginia Hospital recovering from the 26 bullets that struck his legs.  You can read his story in my PhotoGallery Page 2 at www.ww2dday.com .

Tim

That's an amazing find, I always love to see things from West Virginia vets. I've got a small grouping from my great Uncle who served with G company of the 175th. He was killed assaulting a fort late in the Brest campaign while trying to outflank a sniper that had pinned him and some squad members in a shell crater. His aunt spent the entire war insisting that he was still alive because his last letter written just days before his death thanking her for sending him money and that he was looking forward to spending it when he got back to the states arrived after the telegram saying that he had been killed. 

donation2019.gif