USN jumper SS Bear Westbrook named

hello

found in my storage this jumper , look old , before WW2

named to Labrocque ?

SSS Bear patch and Westbrook

found this on SS Bear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bear

and nothing for Westbrook

look like intresting jumper , unfortunately some mothing ...

thank

usn_ju10.png

usn_ju10.jpg

usn_ju11.jpg

sss_be10.png

westbr10.jpg

usn_ju11.png

No clue on the era of this jumper mate, but from the SS Bear's Wikipedia page some information could be gleamed. Tt seems to be that it saw a lot of service in Antarctica, and I found this on Wikipedia about a Cape Westbrook in Antrarctica which was mapped in 1947 by a US Navy expedition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Westbrook

Could be way out but a fairly good guess either way. The Westbrook shoulder title could be a ship/expedition specific award.

I know this is not near as exciting as expeditions to Antartica but the patch says SSS Bear not USS or SS which I believe stands for Sea Scout Ship. The Sea Scouts, a branch of the Boy Scouts, refer to a troop as a ship and most of them actually have a ship although more likely a boat. Scouts of all types usually wear the name of the town they are from on their shoulder, in this case Westbrook. It was not at all usual for scouts to wear surplus uniforms especially in more frugal times, that is how the campaign hats for Boy Scouts got started.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I know this is not near as exciting as expeditions to Antartica but the patch says SSS Bear not USS or SS which I believe stands for Sea Scout Ship. The Sea Scouts, a branch of the Boy Scouts, refer to a troop as a ship and most of them actually have a ship although more likely a boat. Scouts of all types usually wear the name of the town they are from on their shoulder, in this case Westbrook. It was not at all usual for scouts to wear surplus uniforms especially in more frugal times, that is how the campaign hats for Boy Scouts got started.

Thank you for clearing this up mate, now youve said that I realise it says SSS and that makes far more sense, many thanks

Harvey

You have to look at this jumper as a whole:

1) The SSS

2) The community strip and I am surprised that the state strip is missing but this is common.

3) All of the piping is reduced to Two lines if it was Navy it could have two on the cuff and three on the flap

4) Sadly you did not show the back as the stars are most likely removed and or covered by bugs ( little sea scout emblems or missing altogether )

5) it is common were military uniforms are a close match to see them used as BSA uniforms, as to the comment on campaign hats the Boy Scouts had official authorized uniform items from the very beginning of every program they rolled out and it was always stated that to be in uniform you must be wearing Official BSA gear. There was a grey period early were you may have worn what was available but in an effort to copy the British Boy Scout program not the US Army

I should have noted that I would love to see the back of this uniform and while not super valuable it is very collectable and no doubt there is a collector who is missing it in his collection.