• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey great looking case! If you have an ancestry account you can look him up through the marine corps muster rolls. I would help but I canceled my account for awhile. Someone else with access to ancestry might be able to help though!

There are abundant topics on these UNIS shapes, including whether the horizontal or vertical lozenge is 1st or 3rd MARDIV. Known reference defines the horizontal lozenge as being 1st MARDIV, but a lot of self-proclaimed experts say otherwise - mainly because of the shape of their SSI. I have seen both shapes represented on confirmed marked pieces for both divisions.

Great. No, I do not have an account. Is this 1st or 3rd Div?

Yes, I got stuck on the disagreement of horizontal versus vertical being 1st or 3rd but someone knows empirically based on a piece of gear with provenance.

Great map case!!

I am no 'self proclaimed expert', but from confirmed examples I have seen in this shape, your case is 3rd Div. Congrats!

Looks like it belonged to George Wilken, an enlisted Marine with 2nd Bn 3rd Marines and was a clerk with the battalion headquarters which explains why an enlisted Marine had this, usually not the standard piece of gear carried by enlisted line company grunts. Wilken was at Guam and off shore at Iwo. Great piece, congrats.

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi