USMC map-case with UNIS marking

Pbaczuk

Usmccollector

Hey great looking case! If you have an ancestry account you can look him up through the marine corps muster rolls. I would help but I canceled my account for awhile. Someone else with access to ancestry might be able to help though!

There are abundant topics on these UNIS shapes, including whether the horizontal or vertical lozenge is 1st or 3rd MARDIV. Known reference defines the horizontal lozenge as being 1st MARDIV, but a lot of self-proclaimed experts say otherwise - mainly because of the shape of their SSI. I have seen both shapes represented on confirmed marked pieces for both divisions.

Great. No, I do not have an account. Is this 1st or 3rd Div?

Yes, I got stuck on the disagreement of horizontal versus vertical being 1st or 3rd but someone knows empirically based on a piece of gear with provenance.

Great map case!!

I am no 'self proclaimed expert', but from confirmed examples I have seen in this shape, your case is 3rd Div. Congrats!

Looks like it belonged to George Wilken, an enlisted Marine with 2nd Bn 3rd Marines and was a clerk with the battalion headquarters which explains why an enlisted Marine had this, usually not the standard piece of gear carried by enlisted line company grunts. Wilken was at Guam and off shore at Iwo. Great piece, congrats.

• 1 year later...

This is a map case I believe is exceedingly rare because of its unis marking. I’ve had it for a little while now and I’m curious as to how many examples are out there. I have little doubt it was there for the fight for Sugarloaf Hill.

Sgt. John W. Mogilski who hailed from the state or Oregon.

John enlisted in September of 1942 and by December of that year he was assigned to HQ/1/21 , 3rd Marine Division. By November of 1943 John a participated in the battle for Bougainville and began his fighting as a rifleman. During April if 1944 Mogilski was transferred to Weapons Co, 1st Bn, 22nd Marines seeing combat on Guam and Okinawa as an anti tank crewman.

6adf1d037b2e7ceb569e034a7e72e616.jpg
7c18d8bddc21c2840a2882eca4f479b0.jpg
1784fdf28a8ecb78adc0b6d340adf8a7.jpg
10dce13c90efbfb0463fae21374fb75b.jpg
687b536135c16bc30b7cbfeda51fc61d.jpg

9 hours ago, 4thraiders said:

This is a map case I believe is exceedingly rare because of its unis marking. I’ve had it for a little while now and I’m curious as to how many examples are out there. I have little doubt it was there for the fight for Sugarloaf Hill.

Sgt. John W. Mogilski who hailed from the state or Oregon.

John enlisted in September of 1942 and by December of that year he was assigned to HQ/1/21 , 3rd Marine Division. By November of 1943 John a participated in the battle for Bougainville and began his fighting as a rifleman. During April if 1944 Mogilski was transferred to Weapons Co, 1st Bn, 22nd Marines seeing combat on Guam and Okinawa as an anti tank crewman.

6adf1d037b2e7ceb569e034a7e72e616.jpg
7c18d8bddc21c2840a2882eca4f479b0.jpg
1784fdf28a8ecb78adc0b6d340adf8a7.jpg
10dce13c90efbfb0463fae21374fb75b.jpg
687b536135c16bc30b7cbfeda51fc61d.jpg

Outstanding. You don't see a lot of 6th MarDiv unis marked item. I have a 6th Tank Battalion unis marked sea bag, so my guy was there also. 

Here's my 6th Tank Battalion marked sea bag. Lester C. O'Quinn was first assigned to the submarine base at New London, CT as a cook. He eventually would be assigned to HQ, 1st Marine Provisional Brigade for the Battle of Guam. In October of 44', he would be assigned to HQ, 6th Tank Battalion, 6th MarDiv and then to Co. A, 6th Tank Battalion. 

6th TB.jpg

After basic and advanced training, Robert W. Wark would be assigned to HQ, 6th Engineers, 6th MarDiv and would serve on Okinawa. 

Wark 6th MarDiv seabag.jpg