DCU MOLLE RIG

AndrewA74

Hello,

I have this DCU MOLLE rig that I put together using various new and used parts I found here and there. I was wondering, how accurate is it? The backpack was used, but made in the Phillipines, but that's on there. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

1 M16 Mag Pouch (double)

2 M4 Mag Pouches (double)

1 M4 Mag Pouch (single)

1 Medical Pack

2 9mm mag pouches (double)

1 Canteen Pouch

7 Grenade Pouches

post-889-1231626408.jpg

post-889-1231626415.jpg

The backpack is for a camelbak drinking system!

You can pack the MOLLE Vest like you or your commander want. You need 6 M 16 Magazins, the medical pouch( I would put it on the front side, so you could reach it easier), an two grenade pouches, the canteen isn´t need when you use a camelbak, but the pouch can be used to carry an MRE.

If you use a sidegun (M9), you need the 9mm Pistol Magazin pockets. As a normal Private, you normaly didn´t carry a pistol.

The space below the Camelbak, where you put the three Grenade pouches, can be used for a waist pouch (MOLLE But Pack)

Hope I could help you a bit!

Cool rig. I usually see pictures of soldiers with two grenade pouches. I think seven is too much. Now you need Interceptor body armor. This vest's purpose is to be worn over body armors, I believe.

Wow...funny how you can count 5 and come up with seven. DOH!

Andrew

ermm.gif

Oops. I read your list without looking at pictures carefully. :mellow:

Oops. I read your list without looking at pictures carefully. :mellow:

You're not the one who owns the thing, I should know what's on there! HAHA!

Andrew

My Brother is a Marine, and been to the sandbox several times. He used M9 mag pockets, one for a multi tool, and another for a flashlight, thet're great for that. He carried M16 bandoleers folded accordian style in 100rd SAW pockets sometimes.

Seven grenades are too many? think.gif How can you have too many grenades? :rolleyes:

Looks good!

A few other things I remembered.

My Brother and a few others used a 40mm HE pocket to carry an extra battle dressing, it fits perfect, and he put it high on the left side so he could get it with either hand. The frag pockets are pretty useful, he carried a compass in one, and when he had a shottie, he used 'em to hold the 5rd boxes of breaching rounds and less leathal rounds. He found you could put six 5rd boxes of shotgun shells in a 100rd SAW pouch, and the boxes fit in the old 7 pocket M16 bandoleers. Some guys put shells in the MOLLE loops, but my Bro didn't untill the GI contract Winchester ones with the subdued base and OD hull started coming out.

As always there are two ways they can be set up, by the book and how it is actually done. The by the book method is as follows;

Everyone is issued the Vest and two Canteen/General Purpose Pouches.

A rifle man has three Double 30 Round Mag Pouches and two Fragmentation Grenade Pouches

A pistol has four Single 9mm Mag Pouches and two Fragmentation Grenade Pouches

A SAW gunner has two 200 Round Pouches and two 100 Round Pouches

A medic has four Medical Pouches and three Double 30 Round Mag Pouches plus a Medical Bag

A grenadier has ten Single High Explosive Grenade Pockets, two Double High Explosive Grenade pockets, and two Double Protechnic Pockets.

This is from the Care and Use Manual for the Modular Lightweight Load Carrying Equipment MOLLE II

a couple things from a guy who as actually worn this stuff in combat.

#1 Lose the crook necked flashlight, No self respecting soldier would have that hanging off his rig. We use much smaller flashlights like surefires and pelican flashlights which pack a much better punch and are much smaller. I haven't seen one of those crook necked flashlghts since basic. Kinda a NAM throwback I suppose. plus with all the movement, you will lose it off that clip.

#2. The rifleman's kit only issues 2 grenade pouches. not to say you can't come up with more, but you really don't need many more than that.

#3 Get some kinda utilitiy pouch to carry a gerber multitool or other. those things are worth their weight in gold.

#4 Lose all the junk off the back, but keep the camelbak. While sitting in a HMMWV or Stryker, stuff on the back of your vest you just can't get to, and it makes an uncomfortable ride that much more uncomfortable.

#5 lose the canteen, but keep the canteen pouches. We used to use it as an aid kit with israeli bandage, tournicate, med tape, needles, etc.

#6 This vest is really only used by Gunners and drivers because of the fact that having all this stuff fixed to their OTVs may limit their movement in their battle stations. If they need to dismount, they can put the vest on.

#7 Dump pouches are huge now in combat. Basically a huge saw pouch or m-240 pouch will do. This if for shotgun shells, or if need be to store mags after they have been expended on the fly.

#8 Have something you can use to put smoke grenades in, we use them a lot.

#9 don't get too wrapped around the axle about color. I have all ACU pattern now, but my first time in combat useing this, some was tan, some was coyote, some was green. A vest all the same color kinda looks fake to me now unless its all woodland like early war, or all acu like now.

Hope this helps, have anymore questions? Feel free to ask.

Thanks for all of the help. Here is the difference between an M-16 Mag Pouch and the M4 Mag Pouch. The M16 pouch is on the left and the M4 is on the right.

Andrew

PS: This vest is meant to reflect around 2004 - 2005 before ACU's in combat.

post-889-1231710561.jpg

I was there sept 2004- oct 2005 and I didn't really see too much of this color. We were all in woodland vests, pouches and all. We did have DCU uniforms and helmet covers. As for the M-16 M-4 mag pouches, its interesting that they're marked that way. Apparently I carried the M-16 magazine pouches in woodland then. I now carry the M-4 mag pouches in ACU. They are the same magazine, must just signify different styles.

I was in Iraq from Feb-Dec 2005 and my whole Brigade had all DCU gear. I was all over AL Anbar and I can remember seeing some guys with woodland camo body armor on occasion. I agree about the flashlight, we had angle head flashlights in our tracks but carried Surefires on our gear. The angle heads were from Supply. Some guys, i.e. the coffee drinkers, still carried canteens because of the canteen cup. Most just stuck a bottle of water in their cargo pockets. We kept cases of bottled water on our vehicles. I can't remember seeing a camelback after we left stateside.