1st Washington Volunteer Infantry, U.S.V. officer collar insignia set

agate hunter

Recently completed this set of insignia, as an officer would wear on his collar for the 1st Washington (state) Volunteer Infantry. Formed in May 1898, the 1st WA Vol. Inf. saw action in the Philippines in 1899.
The U.S.V. initials are for United States Volunteers.
Insignia is all loop back, to be sewn on. One crossed rifles insignia has been modified to pinback.

post-10495-0-54391200-1584515783_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-57731600-1584515792_thumb.jpg

Nice insignia group. The Span-Am period false bullion insignia are pretty sharp looking! Do you have any photos or uniforms from this unit?

NIce find! That insignia is tough to find. In 30 years living in WA, I've never found any.

Kurt

agate hunter

Nice insignia group. The Span-Am period false bullion insignia are pretty sharp looking! Do you have any photos or uniforms from this unit?

Thanks BEAST. No I don't have much else from this unit except a newspaper article from the time detailing the unit and it's complete roster. Hard stuff to find.

I got both of the 1st WA insignia on eBay over the last year. Haven't seen any for sale locally. The U.S.V. insignia came from the last Portland ASMIC show.

Nice! I saw those but my 1st Wash collecting has been on idle a while. In 30 years I have seen a few, from memory with medal groups. The funny thing is those 'period' insignia are the toughest part to find. I have an 1895 tunic to a Captain of one the companies. Still has his signal corps devices and the 'V' letters but he removed the U & S for use on his khakis once he got to the Philippines.