PAL M4 Bayonet

Cal30M1

Here's my latest purchase. Even I get a break once in a while. :lol: The pics are big so I linked them.

M4 PAL

Blade

Handle

Guard/Pommel

What do you think?

Forgot to mention there is a partial Ordnance Bomb on the guard. Forgot to take a picture.

Pommel looks like it has black paint. The throat of the scabbard does thats for sure. I read in Knife Points that this was done after the war when rearsenaled so they woldnt have to take the handle off. This blade looks perfect. I dont see why it would have needed the paint job. Thoughts on this guys? Thanks.

As you know from Bayo Points, the pommel was painted and most likely the blade reparked. So what, for 25 bucks that is an excellent find!! I wish I could find deals like that. Congrats. thumbsup.gif

Still waiting for Orest's Minions to ship me the rest of the weapons system! :D Maybe by the end of the month. Now I need a can opener for the Garand they're sending me too. B)

Greg Robinson

It looks OK to me with no signs of having been disassembled and finish appears to be original. Probably just went through a clean/repair facility prior to being put into storage. The black paint is for corrosion protection.

So, for a rookie collector such as myself, what do I look for to know the difference between the paint being applied as a corrosion protection versus the paint being applied during a rebuild? Would it be the peening of the two pins indicating a complete dissasembly?

Thanx, Butch

Mr. Robinson,

Thanks for the good word. If it looks good to you I know I have a keeper!

Butch,

FAR from an expert here but the pommel peen and finish are good ways to tell. I had a dark gray M4 Imperial years ago that was dead mint (I thought) I learned that the dark park was a sign of being re-finished. Bayo Points is an excellent site to read at length! Thats where I learned about the latch pins. Early are tapered and the later are peened in place. Look at the Guard/Pommel pic. The top one is round and smooth and the bottom one has an indention to it. I'm guessing based on Bayo Points that the bottom one was repaired after the war thus the peened rivet.

It can save you money by finding out how to spot the easily identifiable fakes out there. There is no substitute for handling squat loads of real USGI knives so go to all the gunshows you can.

If its an auction you can post a pic here for opinions just like you did.

Let us know if you pick up that nice lookin PAL!

Brian in FLA!! 72 degrees and sunny!

Mr. Robinson,

Thanks for the good word. If it looks good to you I know I have a keeper!

Butch,

FAR from an expert here but the pommel peen and finish are good ways to tell. I had a dark gray M4 Imperial years ago that was dead mint (I thought) I learned that the dark park was a sign of being re-finished. Bayo Points is an excellent site to read at length! Thats where I learned about the latch pins. Early are tapered and the later are peened in place. Look at the Guard/Pommel pic. The top one is round and smooth and the bottom one has an indention to it. I'm guessing based on Bayo Points that the bottom one was repaired after the war thus the peened rivet.

It can save you money by finding out how to spot the easily identifiable fakes out there. There is no substitute for handling squat loads of real USGI knives so go to all the gunshows you can.

If its an auction you can post a pic here for opinions just like you did.

Let us know if you pick up that nice lookin PAL!

Cal30M1, thanx for that great info. I am learning. Bayo Points is a great site. I will read in through again. BTW, you're killing me with that 72 degrees. It is 10 degrees and snowing here in Vermont. disgust.gif Two big gun shows coming up here in the next 3 weeks so I will be looking. BTW, you have a great avatar.

Thanx, Butch

Greg Robinson

72 degrees???????? I'm in Georgia and it's 38 here. Never got over 40 today.

Greg

Butch,

I wish I could remember where I stole..... I mean procured that avatar. I do remember I had to shrink it and do a little photo shopping.

The EX wife was from NH! GOD that is pretty country up there. She wanted to take me up there to see snow one Christmas. I divorced her so I would'nt have to go! :D Havent seen ya at the CMP site in awhile.

Mr. Robinson,

Where at in GA? I am currently looking for some retirement property in south GA or north FL. In the I75 corridor, Quitman or Lakeland area or there abouts. I've always wanted to live so far out in the boonies that I could p!$$ off my front porch AND have a 100 yard range in the back yard. Wife says thats OK as long as there is a Red Lobster within an hours drive! I love that woman! :lol: 14 years, 10 months and 16 days till retirement! B)

Greg Robinson
Mr. Robinson,

Where at in GA? I am currently looking for some retirement property in south GA or north FL. In the I75 corridor, Quitman or Lakeland area or there abouts. I've always wanted to live so far out in the boonies that I could p!$$ off my front porch AND have a 100 yard range in the back yard. Wife says thats OK as long as there is a Red Lobster within an hours drive! I love that woman! :lol: 14 years, 10 months and 16 days till retirement! B)

I llive in west Cobb County which is about 30-40 miles west of Atlanta. Not too much country anymore this close to Atlanta but lots of land if you go south, east, or west of Atlanta. Forget north GA.....northerners have bought up all that mountain property for their retiremenet homes and driven up the prices. :D

Greg

Butch,

I wish I could remember where I stole..... I mean procured that avatar. I do remember I had to shrink it and do a little photo shopping.

The EX wife was from NH! GOD that is pretty country up there. She wanted to take me up there to see snow one Christmas. I divorced her so I would'nt have to go! :D Havent seen ya at the CMP site in awhile.

w00t.gif Now that is someone who hates snow!! ;) I'll be back over on the CMP. I'm like a bad habit, once you think you've been rid of me, I come back worse than ever. :lol: