Looking for recommendations

Buckshot329

Buckshot329

Hi

With the possibility of being locked in at home for an unknown time right around the corner, I thought it might be fun to pick up some modeling.

I'm specifically looking to build a US WW2 M1 90mm AA Gun (such a unit was in my hometown). I've looked some online but can't seem to find a lot of sets to do so.

Any recommendations where to look? What's the most accurate 90mm gun set out there? What are the tools I HAVE to get? Any recommendations on paint?

Thanks all

Stay safe & healthy

Proud Kraut

I have ordered a new kit for the same reason last weekend.

The only 90mm AA gun in 1/35 scale I do know of is made by "Commander Models" (No. 1-062). But as far as I know it´s a resin model which are much more difficult to build than plastic kits in general so I can´t recommend to start with exact this kit.

Tools: Get yourself a set of modeling tools including a sharp knife, pair of small piers, tweezer, files and plastic/liquid glue. Fine sandpaper and plastic putty is usefull as well. I recommend to paint your kits with acrylic paint e.g. Vallejo colors.

Buckshot329

Thanks, shame there's not more 90mm guns out there. What's the big difference between resin and plastic kits? Difficulties?

I did do some modeling a few years ago but nothing special, a few kits here and there. Anyway, I still have some decent pliers, files and those. Glue and paint seem to be MIA (but probably would be not good anymore). I used to use Revell glue which did a good job. Should I get that again?

Also, if not 90mm, any 40mm Bofors kits out there? Radars? Searchlights? Anything US AAA really. Thanks for the help

Proud Kraut

Resin parts tend to break much faster than plastic parts. In addition you need superglue to stick resin parts together which is much more difficult than working with plastc glue. I´m using Revell Contacta Liquid as well, it´s fine. There are a couple of 1/35 scale 40mm guns out there from BRONCO, ITALERI and Dragon I think. This kit from Hobby Boss (# 82459) seems to be very interesting as well: GMC with Bofors 40mm Gun.

HobbyBoss2.jpg