34th Infantry Division helmet

mccauslandpara1944

mccauslandpara1944

Hello forum members,

I want to start a discussion on this 34th ID helmet being offered by a dealer overseas. For starters, I am not interested in the helmet. I want to discuss if this helmet is the real deal or if it's not. Let my start by saying I see a few red flags with this helmet. 1st, the blue pain on the inside of the shell, if this was a married set, I doubt there would be blue paint on the inside of the helmet. That just doesn't look right to me. 2nd, the rust on the inside of the shell appears really fresh to me (maybe it is the photos). 3rd, the paint on the outside of the shell doesn't appear to have the right looking patina. With that said, a few weeks ago there was another thread about a USMC cover being sold by this dealer that was very debatable. I believe most of the comments on the thread believe it was a high quality reproduction.

I figured this could be very educational to discuss this helmet. Here is the link:

https://www.lux-military-antiques.com/en/p/usm1-helmet-34th-infantry-division-.htm

ludwigh1980

The web chinstrap looks to be repro, The stenciled insignia doesn't look like the typical documented examples, they are pretty consistent. Usually 34th Lids have matching marked liners. I don't like when the painted insignia has large uniform scratching. To be it looks like it was painted and then rubbed to give it a worn appearance. Scratches look recent. Just my opinion.

mccauslandpara1944

The web chinstrap looks to be repro, The stenciled insignia doesn't look like the typical documented examples, they are pretty consistent. Usually 34th Lids have matching marked liners. I don't like when the painted insignia has large uniform scratching. To be it looks like it was painted and then rubbed to give it a worn appearance. Scratches look recent. Just my opinion.

ludwigh1980,

Thanks for your observations. The scratches do appear to be fresh and I also agree the patina doesn't look right either. From my perspective.

The Rooster

There should be rust on the outside crown of the liner judging by the rust inside the shell.

And there is none.