Pair of Pinback Jump Wings - Makers?

Hello All,

These pair of wings came from a local estate - unfortunately, the name of the veteran seems lost to history, though I am working on it. Curious to know the likely makers. All comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

post-19190-0-24502700-1584326452.jpg

post-19190-0-59327400-1584326482.jpg

post-19190-0-75944700-1584326492.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
triplecanopy

Without any hallmarks it is difficult to nail down the manufacturer's identity. As I understand these type wings were known as "Graduation" wings and had no makers markings. These were likely issued at the conclusion of jump school. The style of the top left example is similar to those made by LG Balfour and also NS Meyer. The upside down STERLING mark is seldom seen and also maybe a clue. Both are flat back and pin back so here again they are early issues. So with just what is visible, I would speculate that you have two WWII era graduation jump wings. Maybe some of the other collectors can offer their opinions. Both are nice wings.

TC,

Thank you for providing some color to these wings. I like to create placards for the items in my collections and this will give me some starting bullet points.

The details on the feathers and the wing construct of the 2nd wing looks familiar and similar to some pilot/air crew wings. I'm going to post a closer shot here shortly, in case the design can be tied to a known manufacturer.

Regards,

Eric

manayunkman

Were the issue graduation wings sterling?

I was under the impression that graduation wings were unmarked non sterling?

And sterling wings were a PX item?

Almost all issued wings in WWII were sterling. In WWII, the army made it a requirement that maker's marks were not allowed for US contracts. This is why you see many Orber wings with the maker name obliterated but the sterling portion of the mark still there.

Pinback sterling jump wings were still be issued to jump school graduates into the mid 1960's.

Allan

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, dc9 said:

The details on the feathers and the wing construct of the 2nd wing looks familiar and similar to some pilot/air crew wings. I'm going to post a closer shot here shortly, in case the design can be tied to a known manufacturer.

Here is a close up of the portion that looks familiar.

IMG_1837_1.jpg

triplecanopy

With just a few exceptions, it is difficult to determine the manufacturer of most parachute wings by only viewing the front side (obverse).

The origin of US military jump wings has its beginning in March 1941 just before the start of WWII.

Captain William Yarborough designed and patented what is the standard design parachute badge that is used still today by the US Army and US Air Force*. Several different makers have embellished or modified the original ‘Yarborough’ design with minor changes over the years and they can be Identified or grouped without too much trouble.

Early on NS Meyer, Balfour and Amico deviated from the original pattern somewhat with a slightly different wing design. From the front, they are not easily distinguishable, but can be classed into a group. This is now considered an obsolete pattern. They returned to the accepted design later.

Norsid stands out as having a missing ‘bite’ on the bottom of one wing. It is unique in that feature. It was probably the result of a die issue, but is easily seen.

Officer’s Equipment Company, Luxenberg and Hilborn & Hamburger used a distinctly different jump wing design for a while that was slightly larger and showed a detailed back canopy edge. But to narrow down further as to who made them, one needs to examine the reverse side.

Most WWII era British and Australian (ie: Luke & Wallace Bishop) made wings are easily identified by the added space between feathers and have a distinctive British style. S&S are probably the easiest to identify from the front as they are oversize. Even still to determine a JR Gaunt from a Ludlow, you need to flip it over and look at who made it. Australian maker Angus & Coote stayed pretty close to the Yarborough design.

Post War German wings by the firm F.W. Assmann & Sohne have extra fine details to the wing feathers and this was imitated for a while by makers in Sendai, Japan. Some Japanese wings are marked STERLING even though they are only silver plated.

Most of the other jump wing makers such as: Gemsco, Crest Craft, American Emblem, Orber, Bailey, Banks and Biddle, Bell Trading Post, Coro, Durocharm, Denmarks, Simon, Silverman, Ira Green, JMS, Krew, Leonard and others followed the Yarborough design which has become the standard and accepted pattern and authorized by the Institute of Heraldry.  In fact today, the only authorized design is still the original one submitted by then Captain (later LTG) William Yarborough.

My point to all this is to determine the maker, one needs to know what to look for and examine the whole badge, front and back. Also one needs to observe what kind of uniform attachment device is used, pin back, screw back or clutch back and there are variations with each. Hallmarks, symbols, letters and IOH numbers are vital clues to identifying the manufacturer.

*From 1956 to 1963, The USAF used an enamel shield design as a parachute badge that was very unpopular. They changed back to the approved Army design and it remains so to this day.