Original WWII M10A2 Paint Dipped Grenade Spoon

Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective

Hey Guys, Found this grenade production photo that shows the grenade being dipped into the OD paint and then hanging to dry..I always assumed this is how it was done but cool to find a pic showing it...here are two original M10A2 spoons that went thru this process.

post-2677-0-94383600-1584323655.jpg

post-2677-0-75104700-1584323667.jpg

Dirt Detective

Very interesting and historic photo, thank you for posting.

Thanks ..as you know not a lot out there...Im always lookin..lucked out and found this one. I love the gal on the end wrapping the can in tape.

Persian Gulf Command

DD,

What a great photo! Is it possible that the grenades are being painted yellow? In post #2 you can see the hands of an individual placing a grenade into a container. The color of the grenade looks very light, perhaps yellow. Also, look at the woman in the background. She appears to be placing a strip of tape (I assume yellow tape) around the fiber container marked "FRAG" to seal the grenade in the tube.

Dirt Detective

DD,

What a great photo! Is it possible that the grenades are being painted yellow? In post #2 you can see the hands of an individual placing a grenade into a container. The color of the grenade looks very light, perhaps yellow. Also, look at the woman in the background. She appears to be placing a strip of tape (I assume yellow tape) around the fiber container marked "FRAG" to seal the grenade in the tube.

Good catch on the frag going into the container...I think the frags are being dipped into OD paint...reason is I have never seen a yellow spoon and this process the body and spoon are clearly being dipped. Its possible it could be from a flash..see shadow on frags hanging..or....maybe unloading yellow to dip into OD????? just a thought.

Garandomatic

I just wonder if these aren't yellow grenades being dipped green... ive posted a picture that was taken locally off our iron foundry's production, and it shows the workers painting the yellow stripe at the neck of the grenade and packing them into crates, no fuses present. If you do a Google image search for Burnham Grenade it should ve easily visible.

Persian Gulf Command

DD, I see what you are pointing out. GOM, I now would agree that these are probably yellow grenades that were stockpiled and changed to green after mid 1942.

Again great photo!!

Persian Gulf Command

great pic, crazy none seem very nervous to be working with live ordinance

They were all doing fine until the "numnutz" took the flash picture. That's when their hearts stopped!

DD, can you post another picture of the photo with the maximum resolution (251 KB) so we can see as much detail as possible?

Persian Gulf Command

Empirical proof related to the OP photo. This is a grenade in my collection.

1. An OD paint over yellow (Grenade is a plugged bottom Mk2).

2. The OD paint on the lever topping off at the same level as the top of the re-painted grenade body.

3. The back of the lever also has the OD paint and this paint is also seen on the bottom of the Bouchon.

4. Note that my example does not have a yellow band applied to the top of the grenade body.

1 of 2

post-17994-0-16977800-1584369415_thumb.jpg

Dirt Detective

Yup...you guys nailed it....looks to be about 5 yellow grenades in cans waiting to be dipped. If you look at the gal her hands look to be pulling the tape off and not putting it on. great example persian gulf...love the OD under the bouchon.

Excellent shot. Unwrapping yellow frags from an early wood crate (without end cleats) with what looks like a Jan 42 packing date - and already marked with a lot number. How many thousands of times you think those 'Rosies' did that? R

• 1 year later...
Dirt Detective
On 3/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, Garandomatic said:

I just wonder if these aren't yellow grenades being dipped green... ive posted a picture that was taken locally off our iron foundry's production, and it shows the workers painting the yellow stripe at the neck of the grenade and packing them into crates, no fuses present. If you do a Google image search for Burnham Grenade it should ve easily visible.

I think this may be the pic you are talking about.  Great pic by the way. 

grenprod1.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 2:45 PM, collector said:

crop

post-1414-0-15289000-1584470691_thumb.jpg

What's in the box with 'TAIL, M106' and part of the word 'FUZES'seen over her shoulder?