Unknown 8th Infantry Division Patch on 1960s GI in Class A

patches

I seem to recall that being for one of the assigned brigades. The colors were different from the standard 8th ID division patch.

I seem to recall that being for one of the assigned brigades. The colors were different from the standard 8th ID division patch.

That's a good clue gwb, lets see what we can find.

Could it be like the ones here on the top left, the 1st or the 3rd Brgade??? These brigade badges on this 1967 chart though indicate they are DIs, DIs like worn on the caps and shoulder loops, unknown if they could also be a oversized badge to be worn on the pocket.

post-34986-0-04976600-1584807064_thumb.jpg

Proud Kraut, on 21 Mar 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Could it be a metal on leather pocket hanger?

Looks more like a 3 pin style badge to me, likely clutch back

I agree with Wake Lars, not seeing on close examination, the leather/leatherette tab, also if it was a fob, it would also be higher to the pocket flap, here it the bottom of the badge is practically at the point of the bottom of the pocket.

Proud Kraut

I agree, didn't notice the covered button of the pocket. Looked like there seemed to be a darker "frame" around the badge on my pc.

I ran this on an 8th Infantry Division group on Facebook, and here is one possible answer:

Dating the photo would help. But to be honest, when I joined the Army in 1978 we had a similar badge in the 18th Airborne Corps for being a Distinguished Soldier. Like being the best in the Corp for that month. I am pretty sure that is what it was and they were not common. But when you PCSed, you kept the certificate and recognition, but you could not wear. It was before the AAM, long before. Not aware of like awards for decades. Sad, I think they should continue to recognize such soldiers and soldiers should be allowed wear even after PCS. But again, I am not 100% sure. I was not aware of an 8th ID distinguished soldiers award when I was station in Mainz from 86-89

Thanks for shopping it out to them gwb.

When you get back to them you can tell them this insignia on this GI will date between January 1 1961 and August 14 1974 by virtue of the ribbon for the National Defense Service Medal. It would not be in the modern time period after the NDSM was re instituted in August 1990 because this GI lacks the new service ribbons, the Overseas and Army Service ribbon,

The picture could have been taken after 1974. Because the National Defense Medal was not awarded after 1974 dose not mean it was not worn by those who got it before 1974. This man is a Sgt. so if he enlisted in mid-1974 the picture could have been taken well into the 1980s.

The picture could have been taken after 1974. Because the National Defense Medal was not awarded after 1974 dose not mean it was not worn by those who got it before 1974. This man is a Sgt. so if he enlisted in mid-1974 the picture could have been taken well into the 1980s.

Where's the Good Conduct Medal :lol:

But that is a great point QED4, that will take hm, say into 1976-78.

I have to try and remember where I found this photo.

Ahh Can't find page, saved image towards the end of last month, but forgot to bookmark page, Pretty sure it's from the 60s though, as that's where my searches go most of the time, and this and those like it are a lot of times accidental finds,